Author Topic: Death date of Owen Jones  (Read 5684 times)

Offline Aussiewelsh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death date of Owen Jones
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 12:14 BST (UK) »
That's fine, it is a big article.
This is wonderful!
Libby

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi
Been to Dolgellau Archives this afternoon. There is a stone on the grave and the inscription has been recorded; it's in Welsh. Going off shortly to run in a mountain race, so I'll just mention the info:
OWEN JONES dear husband of MARY E JONES, 8 Dorvil St., Blaenau Festiniog, died April 13 1901 aged 45yrs.
Then there's a short poem, followed by:
Also in dear memory of his son JOHN OWEN died January 15 1926 and was interred at Woodlawn Cemetery, New York, U.S. aged 37yrs.

I've got info as to the section of the cemetery the grave is in. Will visit, find exact position and check the transcription.
Emyr

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 19:51 BST (UK) »
This might be of interest

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4253905/4253906/3/

3rd August 1907 (middle bottom of page)

translation:

MRS. OWEN JONES, COAL MERCHANT, 8, DORVIL STREET wishes to thank her customers for their support and sympathy to her in her business, and begs for this to continue for a continued spell. It is known she intend to emigrate from here to America and she wishes that those who are in her debt come forward and pay the balance as she does not wish to drive her customers to unnecessary expense. She also has a 10 ton truck with spring buffers to offer for sale

FOR SALE PRIVATELY: an excellent house,  8 Dorvil Street, comprising a parlour, kitchen and back kitchen and cellar below, 4 bedrooms and bathroom. All in excellent condition and in a convenient position for all directions. Enquiries to Mrs. OWEN JONES, the owner

Two weeks later and 8 Dorvil Street is up for auction - http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3410505/3410506/3/  (midle of far right colun, english advertsiement)

Offline Aussiewelsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Emyr,
That is great information from the memorial. I had found on passenger lists that William and John Owen's wife had come over to Wales in 1924, so I was wondering whether John Owen had died a bit before that, but obviously not. So you have answered another question. Mary Elizabeth goes on till at least the 1940's. I had been endeavouring to find the other dates of death from American sources, but now I know to try the Woodlawn Cemetery.
Enjoy your mountain run! I am hoping to walk some of the Snowdon area while I am visiting.

Hi Mabel
Thanks for the translation of Mary Elizabeth packing up and leaving. What a rich lot of information. How interesting that she ran the business for all that time, after Owen died. And what a big decision it must have been to migrate to America. They seemed to do well there, buying their own house.

Both of you have been so generous with your time. I can't thank you enough! Now I can put together quite a comprehensive story of the whole Jones family from Ty Philip.
Best wishes,
Libby

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 12:00 BST (UK) »

I have a newspaper article my great grandfather wrote and had published in a Californian Scandinavian paper in the late 1890's.

Hi Libby
According to this site I found, this letter was printed in a Finland newspaper on 22 Feb 1889:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m8i/

I presume you know all about your G grandfather?

Ian

Offline Aussiewelsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,
Goodness he seems to have sent the article all over the place! I know he sent a version to a maritme newspaper in Gothenburg, with his name attached to it. But I have not been able to get a copy of it. That is why I guessed that he would be 'Sinbad' writing the Californian article.

So the link you just gave, written in Finnish(?) translated itself through google. But google translate isn't very good, so I really couldn't work out what was being written. But I got the feeling he was not recommending migrating to Australia?  That the work for men was difficult and limited? He ws suggesting America instead? But for female servants prospects were good if they were prepared to work hard?

The second paragraph is the most puzzling? I do not understand what he was saying in comparison to America referring to George Washington.

He doesn't sound like a very nice person, from what I can make out in the article?
He signed the petition to federate Australia a decade after this was published and was naturalised in 1904. And he never left Australia. So he must have liked it a little.

I know a reasonable bit about his history, but his father, who was quite well known, dis-owned him and that is a mystery. But we believe that is why he migrated to Australia. He only arrived in Australia to live, in 1885, so his claim of living here 10 years is not true!

I wonder if he wrote other articles. I have 18 pages of lecture notes that he wrote in Swedish. But I think they must be a history of Sweden as it has a few dates and names of kings.

So I hope finding the Finnish article saved you from translating the page? I hope you hadn't already spent a lot of time on it! But could you just tell me what he is trying to say in the second paragrah?
Thanks Ian for sending the link.
Best wishes,
Libby

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just like to add that the article in the Finnish newspaper is Swedish.
If you approve I can see if I can find some unknown info about him here in Sweden. To do so I will be needing his name and his father's name also the parish and some dates.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 21 June 18 00:23 BST (UK) »

I hope you hadn't already spent a lot of time on it! But could you just tell me what he is trying to say in the second paragrah?
Thanks Ian for sending the link.

Cheers Libby.

I had just started so no worries.
Here is my tranlsation of the second paragraph. Quite difficult to translate coherently:

"Australia is a country where everything is very badly off, can even be romantic, beautiful and magnificent, and the people the same. Scraped together, like the old tribe was a 100 years ago, they have become criminals and during the gold rush had become the worst section from all the world's parts, has this relationship not disappeared to make its mark on the growing population and the young Australia is much inferior than the young America was during its time when George Washington governed and you cannot really think the possibility that Australia could produce a man comparable to him."

Ian

Offline Aussiewelsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 21 June 18 04:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,
Thanks for translating the 2nd paragraph. It is so interesting to read his thoughts. He gave each of his children a name referring to Australia as well as Swedish names, so he did like the place as well as saying it is second rate.

Thanks for the offer to look further into his family. His name is Claes Anders Adelskold, son of Claes Adolf Adelskold. Anders joins the merchant navy in 1875. He is 21 by this time, which is rather old to be joining I would have thought. So I would like to know what he was doing before? Between school and navy? Did he go into the military first, would he have had to volunteer? Or was he at university? I have not been able to find any church records after the early 1870's that help.

I don't know if military list archives are available in Sweden? I have his navy records.
Are the old newspapers being digitised much?

I really appreciate your help with the translation. I have been trying to get that done for the last three years, through friends and relatives, but with no luck.
Best wishes,
Libby