Author Topic: Puleston family  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Christine HITT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Puleston family
« on: Wednesday 25 April 18 14:17 BST (UK) »
My gt grandmother = Catherine Puleston born Chatham 1834
2gt Grandfather    = George Puleston born plymouth Charles 1785
3gt Grandfather. = John Puleston born Plymouth Stoke Dameral 1758
4gt Grandfather = Edward Puleston born possibly Plymouth 1725

My query please......are these descended from the Puleston’s of the North Wales family (Wrexham, Emral Hall etc) of the 12th and 13th centuries ?  If anyone can help me I’d be so thrilled.  I have a lot of ‘tree documentation’ showing the family from those days to present day, following someone else’s line but would love to know how to find if I also have a link please.
This is my first time to write here, so I hope I’m doing ok! Thank you.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Puleston family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine and Welcome to Rootchat  :)

I'm a descendant of the Pulestons of Emral. I'm not sure about yours but you might be interested in the work of  a distant cousin  who has done a considerable amount of research which is on his website here:

http://www.puleston-jones.com/index.htm

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 14:30 BST (UK) »
Do you have any more details of the Edward b.c. 1725?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Christine HITT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your prompt reply.  All I have on Edward Puleston is that he was born more than likely in Plymouth about 1725 and that he married Mary Holland born about 1720.

Their son, John lived 1758-1799, was born in Stoke Damerel and married Sarah Horwell on 28 June 1781 in Stoke Damerel.
I will spend some time looking at your Puleston Webpage later. 
Several years ago I heard from a gentleman whose surname is Puleston, and he sent me a printout of his tree but I couldn’t track any of my family on there but gave me the impression that I would have descended from the same place!

I’ve Australian cousins who are in the uk researching so it would be great to find a link.

Don’t know if any of this will help, thank you.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 14:53 BST (UK) »
I was looking at the 1847 marriage to Mary Holland and the site went down. What you need to do is to attempt to find as much as you can about Edward - wills, etc. This might or might not tie you into the Flintshire Pulestons.

I link into the main tree by being descended from Katherine Puleston (b. 1670).

I'll see if I can find any more about your line when the relevant site is up again.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 15:10 BST (UK) »
I see Edward was a Master Gunner at his marriage:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGYS-39YN

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
It might be worth getting hold of these papers:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/7fb652fc-ad47-4ae6-a22e-bfa5796c94a6

Additional info

Sir John H Pulston was MP for Devonport 1874-1892. The original letters are held by Mr T F Puleston of Dartford (formerly of Plymouth) together with some conveyances (1748-1848) of property belonging to John Puleston in Plymouth Dock. A branch of the Puleston family lived in Plymouth from the late 1780's. The main family originated from N France and settled on the North Welsh border. Their archives are deposited in the National Library of Wales at Aberystwyth.

Offline Christine HITT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all this help.  I have  limited Wi-fi whilst in my Caravan, I go home tomorrow so will pursue this as soon as I can .  Thank you I’m really appreciating all the help. I’m just keen to know if there’s a family link to Emral  hall or not. I’ll be in touch again soon.