Author Topic: Kennedy Family  (Read 1916 times)

Offline GemmaL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kennedy Family
« on: Wednesday 25 April 18 15:27 BST (UK) »
I'm currently trying to decipher the Kennedy side of my family.

My 2x great grandfather was William Joseph (sometimes Stewart) Kennedy born 1878 (unknown location), for a long time now we thought his father was named Stewart Kennedy but after receiving W.J Kennedy's marriage certificate it seems his father is named as Joseph David Kennedy (deceased).

I'm having trouble finding either on an census thanks to the Kennedy name, I wonder if anyone can help me figure out a way to narrow down the results as it's starting to drive me mad  ???

The Marriage between W.J Kennedy and Kate Annie Pickering took place in Tynemouth 1916, both father and son were engineers.

Thanks in advance!

Edited to add Certificate Details:

Marriage: 19th April 1916
William Joseph Kennedy | 38 | Bachelor | Engineer | 10 Church Way | Joseph David Kennedy (deceased) | Engineer

Kate Annie Pickering | 22 | Spinster | N/A | 10 Church Way | Thomas Pickering (deceased) | Plater

In the Presence of: James G Henderson and Linda Henderson

Lister | Panting | Littlewood | Sparke | Kennedy | Cowen | Heal | Stapleton | Sharp

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Kennedy Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
To give some idea of dates
Marriage June qtr 1916   
Kennedy    William J   
Pickering    Kate A   
Tynemouth    10b   435
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
You need to be sure which person you are following.  William Stewart Kennedy was born 31 MAy 1875 and Christened 2 July 1875, parents Stewart and Charlotte. Somerset Regiment of Miliitia.

Birth Jul/Aug/Sep 1875 Bath
Death Oct/Nov/Dec 1954 Northumberland

So that appears to be a different person to a William Joseph with a father Joseph David ?

HAve you flund the birth of the child of William Kennedy who is your ancestor? Does that confirm mmn as Pickering? Better still have yuo got their birth cert confirmiimg parents as William Joseph and Kate Annie?

Where does the 1878 birth year come from? Where HAVE you found 'your' William ?

Thanks Rosie - I had just looked that up too and meant to add it to my post to save everyone looking it up!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
Do you have the couple on the 1939 register which would give some idea of birth dates

Offline GemmaL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
You need to be sure which person you are following.  William Stewart Kennedy was born 31 MAy 1875 and Christened 2 July 1875, parents Stewart and Charlotte. Somerset Regiment of Miliitia.

So that is a different person to a William Joseph with a father ?

HAve you flund the birth of the child of William Kennedy who is your ancestor? Does that confirm mmn as Pickering? Better still have yuo got their birth cert confirmiimg parents as William Joseph and Kate Annie?

Where does the 1878 birth year come from? Where HAVE you found 'your' William ?

Thanks Rosie - I had just looked that up too and meant to add it to my post to save everyone looking it up!

The info you found is what I was originally searching but now that I have the marriage certificate (which I know is correct thanks to the witnesses, they were Kate's sister and brother in law) I'm totally lost.

I'm not sure of the rules on here but I could share the marriage certificate if that helps?

As for birth certificates I have my great grans which is Kathleen Kennedy her father is William Joseph BUT on her younger siblings he is William Stewart Kennedy.
Lister | Panting | Littlewood | Sparke | Kennedy | Cowen | Heal | Stapleton | Sharp

Offline GemmaL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 16:03 BST (UK) »
Do you have the couple on the 1939 register which would give some idea of birth dates

Nope, I just assumed his DOB because of the marriage certificate.

Kate has been incredibly easy to deal with because my grandma remembers her and thankfully a distant cousin contacted me and confirmed everything I had was correct. William is just a mystery now, if I've been wrong all along that is! Apparently he was a very tough man too, my great gran had a very hard upbringing apparently and she was such a lovely woman.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
You can't post the marriage image on here but you are allowed to transcribe all of the details.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
Have you got the death cert of the 1954 Northumberland death for William Stewart Kennedy?
Just thinking if the informant was his widow or daughter, it would confirm that this William Stewart was the same person as the William Joseph in the marriage.  Then we just have the task to work out why the different father!  But on the other hand if we can confirm they are two different people, then we can move on with that.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GemmaL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
You can't post the marriage image on here but you are allowed to transcribe all of the details.

Marriage: 19th April 1916
William Joseph Kennedy | 38 | Bachelor | Engineer | 10 Church Way | Joseph David Kennedy (deceased) | Engineer

Kate Annie Pickering | 22 | Spinster | N/A | 10 Church Way | Thomas Pickering (deceased) | Plater

In the Presence of: James G Henderson and Linda Henderson