Author Topic: Possible Irish Travellers?  (Read 3369 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Irish Travellers?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 April 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
That is where I found it. There are some revenue police records there too, yes.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Irish Travellers?
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 10:20 BST (UK) »

James is lised as a Licensed Hawker in 1841. I think he dies in 1843 Loughbourough aged 34.
The thing is on his daughter Celia's marriage in 1860 to Thomas Burt the cert gives his occupation as what looks like 'Policeman'? and doesnt list him as deceased?
Not sure if im aloowed to link the marriage cert but Ill do it anyway.
What do you think? Am I correct in thinking it says policeman?

It makes sense that someone from Ireland would be listed as a policeman in England at this time.
The police force was relatively new and there was active recruiting for police jobs that specifically made reference to wanting to employ "Irish men". There were even complaints by anti Poor Law reformers that out of work English labourers were being discrimated against.
A possible reason for recruiting Irish immigrants might have been because there was a lot of industrial action and campaigns for reform in England that could turn riotous and someone from Ireland would be more neutral about local political reform and local unrest
Not sure if it's relevant in the case of  "revenue policeman" (mentioned later in the topic) but it it is true that the Irish were specifically recruited into the general police force at the time