Author Topic: Disappeared between 1885 and 1891- need help!!  (Read 871 times)

Offline wendyandrews

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Disappeared between 1885 and 1891- need help!!
« on: Wednesday 25 April 18 20:27 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find my ancestor, Frances Ann Smith, who was born in Wingate, Durham (Easington District) in the Sept qtr of 1869. She appears on the 1871 census in Wingate aged 1 with father Thomas, mother Jemima, and brothers George, Joseph, William and Valentine (RG10 4976 household 178). Her mother died in 1872 and her father remarried (well, he lived with someone he called his wife but I can't find a marriage record) and by 1881 the family are still in Wingate as follows:
Thomas Smith 49
Mary Ann Smith 55
William Smith 16
Valentine Smith 13
Frances Ann Smith 12
Sarah Ellen Smith 10
(RG11 4970 household 225)
I know that Frances had a baby in May 1885 though she gave it to relatives to bring up as their own (she would only have been 15 and single). The baby was born in Wingate so I know Frances was still there then but that's the last I can find of her! I've searched BMD's as well as all further available censuses, using all sorts of combinations and even just with County and year of birth but no name, and I'm not coming up with anything likely.
I am starting to wonder if perhaps she went off to America with her father and step mother in 1888 (Allegheny, Pennsylvania). Her sister, Sarah Ellen Wills also seems to have ended up there. I don't have a worldwide membership on my genealogy website subscription and am reluctant to buy one in case its a fruitless search. Any ideas, help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Suffolk: Partridge, Prince.
Durham: Peart, Weetman, Straughan.
Northumberland: Charlton, Percival, Allison.
Cornwall: Olver

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Disappeared between 1885 and 1891- need help!!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 April 18 10:47 BST (UK) »
Is it possible Frances Ann Smith may have married, I note 2 registrations in Co Durham 1886 & 1890. plus others in the North East and elsewhere in England?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline wendyandrews

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 April 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
Colin, yes it is possible and I have taken that into account. The 1886 marriage in the Chester-le-street area appears on the FreeBMD site but not on the Durham indexes on the gov site so that is confusing, as well as the fact that 3 names only appear on the bmd site, Isabella Bamling, George Smith and Frances Ann Smith. Where is the 4th name?! The 1890 marriage definitely isn't her, that was to William Snaith and I've looked at this family on the censuses and that particular Frances Ann was born in Trimdon. I guess she could be any of the other Frances Ann Smiths marrying between 1885 and early 1891 though as I've searched the 1891,1901 and 1911 census with just first name Frances and Durham in the place of birth box and have found nothing likely, I'm not sure I'm ever going to find her.
Wendy.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 April 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy.
On family search John Blacklock also appears on the 1886 marriage.

There is also Dec 1885 Frances Annie Smith, she would be just 16.
Sunderland Nora Isabel Anderson, Thomas Brownless, William Reed

Just to throw in wobbly one a Margaret Ann Smith married Anthony Britton
13 Mar 1887 Wingate, Durham.

Regards

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 April 18 11:54 BST (UK) »
The (probable) 1886 couple John and Frances A Blacklock are in Urpeth, Durham in 1891 with 2 children.

Frances is 24 b Urpeth.

It looks likely her maiden name was Brown though, so not sure whether Smith is an error on the marriage or what.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline wendyandrews

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 April 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
Colin
Thank you for the suggestions but I'm afraid none of them are her. The Frances Ann that married in Dec 1885 married Thomas Brown less and in 1901 gives her birthplace as Pittington and is 35. The Margaret Ann was 32 in 1891 and born in West Hartlepool.
Wendy