Author Topic: Barnhill Poorhouse  (Read 1414 times)

Offline pia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barnhill Poorhouse
« on: Wednesday 25 April 18 21:37 BST (UK) »
My 3rd great Grandmother Sarah McLaughlin died in Barnhill Poorhouse on the 11 Apr 1876 I have copy of death cert. Can someone please tell me how I can find the records for the poorhouse. 
McDermott, McLaughlin, Hoey, Lanarkshire. Ford, Johnstone, McPhee, Lanarkshire & Canada. Frood, Sinclair, McKenzie Lanarkshire

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Barnhill Poorhouse
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 21:47 BST (UK) »
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 21:52 BST (UK) »
The Inspectors report which led to her entry to Barnhill, if it still exists, will be at the Mitchell in Glasgow - these records are not available online.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Pia,

Last year I wrote to the Mitchell, asking if they had a record of an ancestor, they wrote back to say yes, and how much it would cost to post out to me., if I wanted it.  Must admit there wasn't that much information on it that could tell me more about the person.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Pia,

Last year I wrote to the Mitchell, asking if they had a record of an ancestor, they wrote back to say yes, and how much it would cost to post out to me., if I wanted it.  Must admit there wasn't that much information on it that could tell me more about the person.

Cheers
KHP

Must admit I'm a little surprised  but like all things some are good and some not so good -

Records I have seen provide :-
Name , Date of Birth, religion, Address (and history of previous addresses)
Spouse & Details of marriage (on one occasion it even gave the ministers name) ,
family members and their spouses with their locations and the number of their children (mainly so they could claw back any money paid out)
and cause of the application.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 23:52 BST (UK) »
I thought it would have told me an extra tidbit or two, but it didn't, more or less like the Death Certificate and this was in 1917.

Cheers
KHP

Offline pia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 April 18 21:15 BST (UK) »
Many thank's to you all, I will contact the Mitchell and see if they come up with anything
McDermott, McLaughlin, Hoey, Lanarkshire. Ford, Johnstone, McPhee, Lanarkshire & Canada. Frood, Sinclair, McKenzie Lanarkshire

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 April 18 22:53 BST (UK) »
Kiwi,
I think someone at the Mitchell possibly only photocopied one page of the whole entry and posted it out to you.
There is a desk top facility, which can be searched either in person or by the staff if you are phoning.

There should be enough info on the index to confirn that it is the correct person.
The index does not indicate how much info is held within the books ( how many pages)
The actual books that the index relates to are archived.

I have been there in person, searched the indexes and ordered the books to be brought from the archive.( It can be a long wait)
Some ledgers contain so much info that it's impossible to read it all in one go, never mind transcribing it!

Due to the size of these ledgers, there is no photocopying facility available ( while you wait).

You either order them, pay and come back in a few days or pay for copies plus postage and they are sent out to you
They provide you with a slip to order the exact number copies and pages

On multiple visits, I have carefully  filled out that slip and ordered specific pages.
Made it clear. EG pages 1-10 inclusive.

Every time, I  have received my order in the post... I have missing pages

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 April 18 07:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Anne, annoying when there is missing pages, and it is those ones that might hold the clue. :D

Since I ordered, the family have all slotted into place, and I can now see how my person ended up in Barnhill.

Cheers
KHP