Author Topic: Calamitous Firefox Quantum update  (Read 3857 times)

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Calamitous Firefox Quantum update
« on: Thursday 26 April 18 00:41 BST (UK) »
Downloaded the above last night and have spent ages since trying to recover my saved logins with passwords, which I rely on considerably. Visits to the Firefox help forums have discovered several people in the same fix, but with no simple solution to the problem. I would love to read other users' moans about this so as not to feel completely isolated, and if any Firefox fan (as I have been for years) has found a solution I would love to hear from them, congratulate them and benefit from their expertise.
        Now where did I store my library pin . . .

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Calamitous Firefox Quantum update
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 April 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
Not fully related, but I have not been able to use Firefox on my Windows 10 laptop for some time. I have sent several messages, but have received no reply. I might try reinstalling yet again.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 April 18 08:24 BST (UK) »
I've not had any problems with a Firefox update so far, so I'll look out for the one that seems to have caused you problems.  The only solution I can think of is to do a System restore to the time before the update and then mark Firefox to ask before updates are done.  That way you can refuse to update, although I suppose if it is a security issue that's not great.  The other thing I've done with Word updates, (on the instructions of the HP call centre) is to delete the update itself, the theory being that there'll be another update along sooner or later which will solve any problems with the first update!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 April 18 10:13 BST (UK) »
Not fully related, but I have not been able to use Firefox on my Windows 10 laptop for some time. I have sent several messages, but have received no reply. I might try reinstalling yet again.

Is it your Default Browser

...and

has it got all its Defaults?

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 April 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
Yes it was, Hallmark. Then all of a sudden, after an update if I recall correctly, it stopped working. It kept freezing actually.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 April 18 10:42 BST (UK) »
Yes it was, Hallmark. Then all of a sudden, after an update if I recall correctly, it stopped working. It kept freezing actually.

OK..  you probably have the Firefox Installer in your downloads

Have you tried just clicking on it and reinstalling FF?

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 April 18 11:19 BST (UK) »
I tried that. I also tried re-downloading it as well. Neither worked. I have since cleaned the computer of unnecessary files, so I might give it another go.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 April 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
I tried that. I also tried re-downloading it as well. Neither worked. I have since cleaned the computer of unnecessary files, so I might give it another go.

The only other thing I can think of is uninstalling Firefox itself.... then try reinstalling it.

Or deleting both and start from fresh.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 April 18 11:50 BST (UK) »
Last time I deleted Firefox completely. That's why I have gone through and cleaned the computer. I will have a go tomorrow and report back.