Author Topic: Birth year Robert MUSGRAVE Durham ? 1832 or 1839  (Read 1421 times)

Online meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth year Robert MUSGRAVE Durham ? 1832 or 1839
« on: Thursday 26 April 18 06:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help please? I am looking at Robert and wondering if the transcription via An... is correct with bap 6 Jan 1839 at Stockton on Tees Holy Trinity. Son of Robert MUSGRAVE and Phoebe (various sp) HOLT

Another source (Durham Records Online) says St Thomas' Stockton 1832. This date gels with his age on his MC and DC but can only find it mentioned there and not on an PPV sites. Can understand he may be bap 7yrs after birth but would like to find a a parish register transcription/image if possible

Many thanks for your time
Meegan

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth year Robert MUSGRAVE Durham ? 1832 or 1839
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 April 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
I would guess that the original baptism record also noted the DOB. It was not unusual for a child to be baptised later, I have one ancestor who was baptised a short time before his marriage, another was age 15 and more than one instance where 2 or 3 children of different ages were baptised on the same day.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 April 18 10:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Colin - the transcription I have doesn't have a birth record so will have to wait to see if Durham Records Online comes back and try then again
Cheers
Meegan

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 April 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
If you don't hear back let me know and I'll pop into the library & check for you.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 April 18 00:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jomot, Durham Records Online are still having trouble after an update so unable to check. What I forgot to mention is that it is Robert MUSGRAVE I'm looking for who is my 3rd GGrandfather.

Does Holy Trinity still have their parish records? I don't want to impose. I see it was a large and imposing church before the fire but the new church may not have records. I haven't had any other replies so Robert's actual birth might be one of those brick walls

Cheers and thanks
Meegan

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 April 18 01:42 BST (UK) »
I live in Stockton so the local library will have copies for both churches.  I cant get down until next week but am happy to look if DRO are still unable to reply.

Musgrave is also my husband's family name but I haven't researched that line yet so you never know - you could be related to him  ;D
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 April 18 05:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, Jomot. DRO are still offline, they were hoping to be back up Thu your time according to the website but no luck yet.  Do you go to the library often or would I be taking you out of your way?

There are many Musgraves in the Durham and Northumberland area - most of them miners. My Musgraves came to Aust in 1862. Robert was a miner and in the 1861 Census, Isabella nee Robinson/Robertson was a hatmaker. That census they were living in Chilton Colliery Village. They were brought over by the Australian Agricultural Company and Robert continued mining, became as shoemaker, went back to mining and was a publican! He sounds as though he lived an interesting life and died at age 85, give or take the differing dates I have. Isabella loved till she had a fall at age 77 so they were well lived folk.

My descendant, Isabella, was born at Cold Knuckle, near Quarrington Hill in 1855. Other places the Musgraves lived were New Pensher, Heworth, Bishopwearmouth, Houghton le Spring, Coxhoe and Kelloe.

Anyway, sure too much information for you I'm sure! Thank you for your offer if it won't put you out too much
Cheers - off to try and make some rosella jam (first time for everything!)
Meegan

Online meeganf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 April 18 04:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Jomot

DRO is back on board and I again have the record of Robert's baptism. Which is 22 Jul 1832 at St Thomas Anglican, Stockton.The info from FindMyPast had his bap as 6 Jan 1839 with Robert and Phoebe as well. I haven't found any other Robert's born to Robert and Phoebe so (taking into account info on MC and DC) think the 1832 date is the correct one.

Many thanks for your offer of help - don't worry about it unless of course there is an actual register to view?

If I can help with the Musgraves, please say
Best wishes and thanks
Meegan

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 April 18 07:30 BST (UK) »
Both baptisms are on Anc., Durham Records Online and the IGI.

First baptism is stated on the IGI as being at Stockton St. Thomas, 2nd son. Second baptism has no Church listed against the Batch number on the archersoftware batch listings site, so will be one of the other churches in Stockton, probably Holy Trinity.

On the freesearch on Durham Records Online, the parents were resident at Hartburn for the 1839 baptism. Holy Trinity was built in 1835.

He is 9 in 1841 census, so the first baptism is correct. Second baptisms were usually carried out because the first baptism was carried out privately. Sometimes urgently, if a child was not expected to live. Maybe the clergyman at their new church insisted on a re-baptism.

Alan.

Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins