Author Topic: Info about arrival of Edward Millin  (Read 929 times)

Offline jen56johns

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Info about arrival of Edward Millin
« on: Thursday 26 April 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I’ve been researching Edward Millen on the Australian board www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=791892.0 and couldn’t find a death, I think though I may have found his death as Edward Millin in NZ in 1909.

However, I can’t find any record of him arriving in NZ to verify that. Can anyone help or is my only option to buy the death certificate and see if that can shed any light?
Thanks for any assistance you can offer.
Jenni.
Johns - Cornwall
McNerney - Manchester
Speakman - Manchester
Warman - Faringdon
Utting - Norfolk

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Info about arrival of Edward Millin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 April 18 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenni

You say you can't find any records of him arriving in NZ ... does that mean that you have looked through, say, the New Zealand Passenger lists at FamilySearch ??
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1609792

Of course that resource does not cover everybody who ever came to these shores ... and those who made the short journey from Australia are often not well-documented -- even to the point of just being amongst a "number" of passengers "travelling steerage".
British subjects who'd previously emigrated to Australia or NZ, were able to travel freely between the two countries.
----
I have a little information for the man Edward MILLIN who died in 1909 - will add this in a following post.
               ~   Lu

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 April 18 21:32 BST (UK) »
Here is a transit within NZ for a MILLEN http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lyt/ in 1891.

A mention of a boy in 1907 http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lyu/
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lyv/

I presume you have looked at the Edward Millen mentioned in the Senate elections in AU in 1912?
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 April 18 21:39 BST (UK) »
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline jen56johns

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 April 18 22:01 BST (UK) »
Lu, I have looked through several sites and have membership to a couple of subscription sites but haven’t been able to find anything conclusive.  If you can help with any info about the 1909 death, I’d appreciate it.

Twiggy, thanks for the links.  As most of these are after 1909, these won’t be him. I found a Millen family who emigrated to NZ in the late 1800s which included an Edward Millen so I think most of those refer to him and are not the Millin I’m after.

Thanks for all your help so far!
Johns - Cornwall
McNerney - Manchester
Speakman - Manchester
Warman - Faringdon
Utting - Norfolk

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 April 18 04:09 BST (UK) »
Jenni   ...

Here is a link to the Ashburton Cemetery (South Island), where the  Edward MILLIN died 1909, was buried.

Unfortunately the Cemetery have his record under the surname "MILLAN" - but I would expect that the surname of "MILLIN" as used in the NZ BDM death listing, is more likely the correct spelling ?

But not much information to be had for this man.   

http://infoservices.adc.govt.nz/Cemeteries/SearchResults?Advanced=False&FirstName=edward&Surname=MILLAN

Before spending $$$ on a death record (- and rather than a certificate, we always recommend purchase of a "printout" - the registry entry which usually gives additional info.), it would be prudent to enquire if the Ashburton Cemetery has any additional information on this man.
The record notes that he is  buried in "free ground" (essentially a "pauper's plot) although it gives the name of Purchaser of Plot, as Edward MILLAN ?

Edited to add link >    Use this link to contact Ashburton District Council re: cemetery enquiry  > >  click on  form  in 3rd paragraph >

http://infoservices.adc.govt.nz/Cemeteries/

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 April 18 04:21 BST (UK) »
Jenni  ...

Had meant to mention that this Edward MILLIN (d. 1909) seems only to have been in New Zealand from around 1896 ... or at least that appears to be the earliest record of him where he is found at Ashburton working as a labourer.   In the electoral years of 1900 and 1905-06, he is an inmate of the Old Men's Home at Ashburton with no occupation.

[Have discounted the other Edward MILLIN (s/o Joseph and Ellen) who for a time resided at Oamaru.]

~  Lu

Offline jen56johns

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 11:55 BST (UK) »
Lu,
Thanks for the information. I’m not sure what other records I might find for Edward.

I got his death certificate but it told me little.  Parents were unknown.  Birthplace was England and he had been in NZ for 47 years.  But I suspect it would have been anecdotal info from the people at the Old Man’s Home.

I wish I could find his passenger record into NZ.  Think I’m at a bit of a dead end now in proving this is the same Edward I’m looking for.
I appreciate everyone’s help.

Thanks,

Jen
Johns - Cornwall
McNerney - Manchester
Speakman - Manchester
Warman - Faringdon
Utting - Norfolk