Author Topic: Joseph Heap Death Query.  (Read 658 times)

Offline madeira066

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Heap Death Query.
« on: Thursday 26 April 18 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi All.
I have been searching for the death of a Joseph Heap born 1790/91 and I did a free search of the civil deaths and burials on FindMyPast which came up with a Joseph Heap burial in 1863 with a date of birth of 1791 at Brompton Cemetery Middlesex making Joseph 72 years old at death. I then checked GRO for a death of a Joseph Heap in 1863 and the only one that came up within the Greater London area was in the 3rd quarter 1863 registered in Chelsea with a death age of 68. I then checked  the Brompton Cemetery burial records online which stated that a Joseph Heap was buried there on the 31st July 1863. Is it likely that the Joseph on the GRO and the Joseph buried in Brompton are one and the same person?.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Heap Death Query.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 April 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
I would think it very likely as a burial on 31st July 1863 would be a death registered the 3rd quarter 1863.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 April 18 13:26 BST (UK) »
Is this the Joseph Heap who served in 29th Foot and was a Waterloo veteran? The Brompton cemetery register (which gives his age as 72) records that the death occurred at the Royal Hospital Chelsea which suggests he was an army pensioner.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline madeira066

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 April 18 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi groom/ShaunJ.
Thank you for your replies.
Yes Joseph served in the 52nd and 29th foot regiments.
Joseph married Mary Ann Knight in 1826 at St Pancras where his two eldest daughters Emma and Elizabeth were born he then moved with his family back to Bolton Lancashire where he was born, his wife Mary Ann died in 1845 and on the 1851 census he was still in Bolton with his two younger children George and Sarah Ann both born in Bolton. I could not find Joseph on the 1861 census but found George had married and was still in Bolton and found daughter Sarah Ann in Farnworth Bolton as a boarder.
I assume he then applied to become a in pensioner at the Royal Hospital Chelsea after all his children had left home.

Regards Dave.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 April 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
I assume he then applied to become a in pensioner at the Royal Hospital Chelsea after all his children had left home

You can find some pension records in the Army service records on FindMyPast. He applied for admission to the Chelsea Hospital in September 1857 and was refused but encouraged to apply again (abode 52 Hope Street, Manchester). It looks like he applied again in March 1858 and was admitted (abode 102 Regent Road Salford). Died 28 July 1863 (see records for "Josh Heap").

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline madeira066

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 April 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi ShaunJ.
Many Thanks.
It would appear that in 1857 Joseph was living with or near to his second eldest daughter Elizabeth who had married to a Thomas Rigby in 1848 in Bolton and who appear on the 1861 census living at 48 Hope Street Salford.
 Thanks for your help with this post.
Dave.