Author Topic: Brentwood records (1930s - 1960s)  (Read 3031 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Brentwood records (1930s - 1960s)
« on: Thursday 26 April 18 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My grandad (now deceased) married in Brentwood in 1954, and I have the certificate. I heard that he had to be baptised before the wedding, so I wondered is there any record of this? The marriage took place on the 7th of January 1954 at the parish church. His name was Robert George McGregor, and he was born in 1928.

My grandma, born Barbara May Goddard, was born in Brentwood in 1931, and I would be grateful if any baptism could be found for her. My dad was born there in 1965, but I don't know if that's too recent for online records.

Also, my great-great-grandmother, Caroline Goddard, died in Brentwood in 1956. I'd appreciate any burial record or anything that can be found.

Sorry for the list!

Adam

Moderator comment: your father's name has been removed
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Brentwood records (1930s - 1960s)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 April 18 12:35 BST (UK) »
I'm aware there are regulations regarding living people, but my grandparents are both deceased, although my dad is still alive.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 April 18 12:59 BST (UK) »
Generally speaking, London parish records on both Ancestry and FindMyPast stop about 1920.
BY that I mean Greater London ;D

For anything later you need to visit the relevant local library, record office or archive.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 April 18 13:12 BST (UK) »
I thought it was a long shot. Thanks.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 April 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
Brentwood parish registers are held at Essex Records Office.  They are viewable for that period on the ERO's pay per view site SEAX - see http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/ParishRegisters.aspx?selAlphabet=B&selParish=630&selChurch=631.  You will need to purchase a subscription to view them, the cheapest is £10 for 24 hours (see site for details, I do not have a current subscription).  It is possible he would have been baptised in the parish church but could be baptised at a non-conformist chapel or in another parish.  The latest burial register they have covers the period 1886 to 1989 which suggests that later burials are more likely to be in a cemetery rather than the churchyard so you would need to look elsewhere.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 April 18 13:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 April 18 18:19 BST (UK) »
Do you know if they actually lived in Brentwood or if it was Brentwood district? There’s no baptism for Barabara in 1931 or Robert George from 1952 to 54.
Unless they were catholic?
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 April 18 20:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, they both lived in Brentwood and were Anglican. I know my grandma moved around a lot, including into what is now East London but was at the time Essex before moving back. My grandad was said to have been baptised before his wedding, but that was just something my mum told me.

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 April 18 15:09 BST (UK) »
Barbara’s dad is recorded as Wallis richard Goddard on her marriage record. You’d have thought that was easy to find but no luck there either.
There’s a Barbara may Goddard born 1931 in billericay but think it’s the registeration district as there’s no baptism at the actual parish. Have also checked little and great warkey, shenfield, herongate, ingrave Parish registers. No luck there either.
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.