Author Topic: Brentwood records (1930s - 1960s)  (Read 3023 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Brentwood records (1930s - 1960s)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 April 18 16:29 BST (UK) »
I don't know exactly without checking, but she was living at 240 Ongar Road in 1954. My birth certificate for her is one of the old fashioned ones where the name, date, registration district (Billericay) and sub registration district (Brentwood) is visible. It's not the full thing.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 April 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
So, St Pauls Bentley would be another parish to check.  Assuming that was where they lived when she was born too.  (Put 240 Ongar Rd into google maps and you will see St George just up the road)

Not sure what you mean about the birth cert, do you mean it is a short one?  IN which case it wont show her parents names .....

Suggest you get on to SEAX and start looking through these suggested parishes!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 April 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's a short one. But I have the full death certificates of her parents and their marriage record from Shalford, plus her mother's birth certificate in full. These have been in my house since my Nan died in 2009, so not one's I have bought personally.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 April 18 16:47 BST (UK) »
I have SEAX, so will start looking.
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 27 April 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
Nothing in any of the bentleys or Wealds. Got down the billericay registration district as far as nevendon. Nothing there.
and

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 April 18 17:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help. My Dad's going out tonight so I'm going to look through the filing cabinet. He has all sorts of family documents in there.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 27 April 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
1929 electoral register has them living in The Village, Shalford (as per marriage cert).
First child?
March 1929 Braintree 4a 1376
Goddard, Philip R.   
mother Thorogood   

His death is registered same quarter.
And burial of Philip Robert Goddard at Shalford St Andrew, 23 March 1929
(index says age 0, don't know exactly what it says in the register)

Jonw65 - no other Goddards around, so they may well have moved from Braintree, even though it’s a long way away.

But if that newspaper report is accurate (and it seems to be the right person from what he was doing), then they were living in Braintree towards the end of 1931. Or at least Walter was!

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 27 April 18 17:11 BST (UK) »
Argh!! Thought we were onto something there ... online records for shalford stop a5 1928!
and

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 27 April 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
I never knew she had an elder brother! So sad to see he died so young. Her sister died in 1968. I don't know where the name Philip would've come from - probably just a nice name - but Robert would have been after his paternal grandfather, who adopted the name as a middle name - it was even used as his first name on Walter's marriage certificate.

And yes, the Goddards were always on the move. But at some point they ended up stopping in Brentwood before eventually moving to Rainham.