Author Topic: What can I expect from PRONI records?  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Sherry Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What can I expect from PRONI records?
« on: Thursday 26 April 18 20:06 BST (UK) »
I found that my Antrim ancestors were listed as Church of Ireland and at least two members were baptized as such in 1837. When I searched for the records it shows that PRONI does hold them but you have to actually visit to see them... since I'm in Canada that just isn't going to happen. So, if I'm able to find someone who will go search for me what will I get for my money? Will I get actual copies of the pages found or do they only let you transcribe what is written there?
... and does anyone have a link for people who are willing to go to PRONI for people who can't visit themselves? Would appreciate any details anyone can give.
Thanks
Sherry

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What can I expect from PRONI records?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 April 18 20:57 BST (UK) »
There are sites like https://www.emeraldancestors.com/, that have transcriptions of Northern Ireland records.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 April 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
Usually the baptism register will list the date of event, child's name then names of both parents (mother's maiden name not likely to be shown).

PRONI's policy used to be you could not print out copies of the microfilmed church registers due to conditions agreed upon when permission was given for them to microfilm the records but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

You can contact PRONI with your queries to see what currect policy is and ask if they have a list of researchers.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sherry Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 April 18 00:04 BST (UK) »
There are sites like https://www.emeraldancestors.com/, that have transcriptions of Northern Ireland records.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond... I appreciate it. PRONI holds the records that I'm looking for though and the only way you can see them is to book a visit.

You can contact PRONI with your queries to see what currect policy is and ask if they have a list of researchers.

Thanks! I did look at PRONI for help but their services have a lot of "won't do this" and "can't guarantee that"... they also seem to want exact details of what you want with dates and names but if you aren't really sure then it sounds like a risk to go through them. I will try asking if they have a list of researches though.. that would help a lot.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 13:17 BST (UK) »
Sherry,

In my experience, PRONI will do simple pieces of work for you. For example, if you want a copy of a will, and it’s in their possession, they’ll copy it (for a fee). Likewise if you want a copy of a baptism or marriage record that they hold, and you know the location and date (or approximate date) they will copy it, where copyright allows, or transcribe it when it doesn’t. What they won’t do is a trawling search. So if you are looking for all Murphy baptisms and marriages in a particular parish from say 1825 – 1900, that might be a huge amount of work. Hard to quantify and too time consuming.  You need a researcher for that.

Researchers in the PRONI area: http://sgni.net
Elwyn

Offline Sherry Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 14:23 BST (UK) »
Sherry,

In my experience, PRONI will do simple pieces of work for you. For example, if you want a copy of a will, and it’s in their possession, they’ll copy it (for a fee). Likewise if you want a copy of a baptism or marriage record that they hold, and you know the location and date (or approximate date) they will copy it, where copyright allows, or transcribe it when it doesn’t. What they won’t do is a trawling search. So if you are looking for all Murphy baptisms and marriages in a particular parish from say 1825 – 1900, that might be a huge amount of work. Hard to quantify and too time consuming.  You need a researcher for that.

Researchers in the PRONI area: http://sgni.net

Thank you so much.. I want to find as accurate info as I can.. been searching for so long. I had paid someone to get information for me here in Canada 20 years ago and when the records finally came online the person had transcribed them wrong.. children with wrong parents or mixed up dates... that's why I keep asking if you get the actual records. lol.