Author Topic: Looking for information about my grandfather from Norway  (Read 866 times)

Offline svesjo

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for information about my grandfather from Norway
« on: Thursday 26 April 18 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi!
I'm looking for information about my grandfather. His name was Sveinung Kaare Helgesen. He was from Bergen in Norway. Born 01.04.1923. The reason I ask for your help is because he served in the British military during World War II. There is little information about him in Norwegian archives. He went to England when he was 17 years old (1940) and fought later in Norway with British soldiers. Is there a possibility that I can find information about him on some UK websites with digitized archive or something like that? He died of war injuries and we know very little about him and what he did.

All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline KieranWalker17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information about my grandfather from Norway
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 May 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi!
I'm looking for information about my grandfather. His name was Sveinung Kaare Helgesen. He was from Bergen in Norway. Born 01.04.1923. The reason I ask for your help is because he served in the British military during World War II. There is little information about him in Norwegian archives. He went to England when he was 17 years old (1940) and fought later in Norway with British soldiers. Is there a possibility that I can find information about him on some UK websites with digitized archive or something like that? He died of war injuries and we know very little about him and what he did.

All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Ill see what i can do

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 May 18 21:44 BST (UK) »
If your grandfather served in the British military then the MoD will have his service record.
To apply you will need a copy of his death certificate and 30 pounds. You do not need his service number.
This is where you can download the application forms
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 May 18 13:07 BST (UK) »
If he died in British service then he would be commemorated by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC). I cannot see his name listed on their website. If he did not serve in the British forces then he may be listed by the Norwegian War Graves Service. You can search their lists here but you should also make a general enquiries about the status of such persons:

https://www.regjeringen.no/en/topics/tro-og-livssyn/gravferd/innsiktsartikler/war-graves/id2550289/

You don't give a date of death. If he died post-war then his status may be determined by date of death etc. Was he just a civilian perhaps?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 May 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hallo, svesjo, and a warm welcome to Rootschat.

If you have the date and place of your grandfather's death it could help us narrow down the search.  It would also help if you have his parents' names.

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 May 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
 ???
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)