Author Topic: Where Was/Is Addlington?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Where Was/Is Addlington?
« on: Thursday 26 April 18 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Helping a friend with their family history & have hit a bit of a problem. Their ancestor Robert John Johnstone was born in 1833/34 and married his wife Ellen Wade in London in 1858. On the 1861 Census he states his place of birth as 'Addlington, Scotland'. Robert died in 1863.

Where is or was Addlington as I have been unable to locate it all?

I have not located him in the 1841 or 1851 censuses as yet either.

On his marriage record (as Robert Johnston)he states his occupation as 'Soldier in the Scots Fusilier Guards' & his father as being Robert Johnston, a labourer (deceased).

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where Was/Is Addlington?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 April 18 22:34 BST (UK) »
I have not heard of place called Addington and I wonder if it is Haddington in East Lothian. 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 April 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
I have not heard of place called Addington and I wonder if it is Haddington in East Lothian. 

Don

That was my first thought too. :)

Looby

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 April 18 22:48 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=792432.msg6485964#msg6485964

In the above post you say Ellen Wade married Thomas Lewis in 1866 and that he was in the Scots Guards??

Ellen Wade was born in Roscommon, Ireland in 1807/08 & married John Wade in 1828 in London. John died in 1860 & Ellen remarried to Thomas Lewis in 1866 in London. After this point the only other sighting that I have of her is as a witness at her son's wedding in 1879 also in London.

I cannot find her in 1871, nor can I find anything of her after 1879.

On the marriage record Thomas Lewis is aged 29, a bachelor & his occupation is 'Soldier Fusiliers Guards'. I suspect that this may well be the Scots Guards as her first husband was also in the same regiment
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 April 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Many thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.

Don & Looby, when I first looked at the census return I thought it said 'Addington' as well & also thought that it might be Haddington. However, on looking at it again as stated in my OP it clearly states 'Addlington'. I am assuming that this a completely different place?

CaroleW, both of Ellen Wade juniors husbands were in the same regiment.

Kind regards.

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 April 18 08:42 BST (UK) »
There is no county, parish, town or village in Scotland called Addlington. There could be a farm or croft of that or a similar name, but I agree that Haddington is the most likely explanation.

The 1841 census (transcription at https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl) lists 5 Robert Johnstons born in East Lothian (Haddingtonshire) and aged 5 to 9 years.
1. JOHNSTON Robert    6 East Lothian       Haddington - Burgh               
2. JOHNSTON Robert    5 East Lothian       Haddington - Burgh               
3. JOHNSTON Robert    6 East Lothian       Whittinghame               
4. JOHNSTON Robert 9 East Lothian       Whitekirk/tyningham               
5. JOHNSTON Robert    8 Ag Lab East Lothian       Prestonkirk

The 1851, from the same source, lists three
6. JOHNSTON Robert Son 16  born Aberlady, Haddington (father James)               
7. JOHNSTON Robert Son 15  born Whittingham, Whittinghame (father Robert)            
8. JOHNSTONE Robert Son 18 born Morham, Whitekirk,Tyninghame (father Robert)

In 1861 there's just one
9. JOHNSTON Robert Sonlaw 26  born Aberlady, Athelstaneford
but there could be others who are in parishes not yet transcribed.

No 2, No 6 and No 9 are the same person, No 3 is the same as No 7 and No 4 is the same as No 8.

No 5 is in a household with Margaret Johnston, 37, and six children, all born in East Lothian.
No 1 is in a household with Catherine Johnston, 35, and three Johnston children, all born in East Lothian.

So it would not surprise me if No 1 is your Robert.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 April 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

Many thanks for the Scottish Census info, much appreciated.

Kind regards

David