Author Topic: What Became of Ellen Wade/Lewis?  (Read 718 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
What Became of Ellen Wade/Lewis?
« on: Thursday 26 April 18 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am helping a friend with their family history & am unable to track an ancestor after a particular point in time.

Ellen Wade was born in Roscommon, Ireland in 1807/08 & married John Wade in 1828 in London. John died in 1860 & Ellen remarried to Thomas Lewis in 1866 in London. After this point the only other sighting that I have of her is as a witness at her son's wedding in 1879 also in London.

I cannot find her in 1871, nor can I find anything of her after 1879.

On the marriage record Thomas Lewis is aged 29, a bachelor & his occupation is 'Soldier Fusiliers Guards'. I suspect that this may well be the Scots Guards as her first husband was also in the same regiment.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: What Became of Ellen Wade/Lewis?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 April 18 22:25 BST (UK) »
If Ellen was born around 1807 and re-married in 1866 she was around 59yrs old - which makes her 30yrs older than Thomas if he was 29 when they married?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 April 18 22:30 BST (UK) »
Ellen remarried to Thomas Lewis in 1866 in London.

No Lewis/Wade marriage on freebmd in 1866 - or from 1860-1871
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 April 18 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW,

Sorry, I seem to have got a bit confused between Ellen Wade & her daughter also called Ellen Wade!

Hi all,

I am helping a friend with their family history & am unable to track an ancestor after a particular point in time.

Ellen Wade was born in Roscommon, Ireland in 1807/08 & married John Wade in 1828 in London. John died in 1860 & Ellen remarried to Thomas Lewis in 1866 in London. After this point the only other sighting that I have of her is as a witness at her son's wedding in 1879 also in London. The last record I have of her is in 1861 & cannot find anything of her after this.

I cannot find her in 1871, nor can I find anything of her after 1879.

On the marriage record Thomas Lewis is aged 29, a bachelor & his occupation is 'Soldier Fusiliers Guards'. I suspect that this may well be the Scots Guards as her first husband was also in the same regiment.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David

The bits that I have struck through refer to Ellen Wade the daughter! Although I haven't found anything of her either as regards after the second marriage as alluded to in my OP.

My apologies again for the mistake. Too many Ellen Wade's!! ;D

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 April 18 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW,

Ellen remarried to Thomas Lewis in 1866 in London.

No Lewis/Wade marriage on freebmd in 1866 - or from 1860-1871

Ooops, yes, that was the second marriage of Ellen Wade junior, when she was a widow after her first husband Robert Johnstone died.

Apologies again for the mistake!

Kind regards

David

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 April 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

It’s a bit confusing.

Here is Ellen, I think.

1871 303/22/35
W, Rutland Place Islington
Ellen Wade widow 66 yrs Nurse b Ireland

Heywood

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 April 18 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

Many thanks for that, much appreciated. I think that you could be right & that that is her.

Kind regards

David

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 April 18 23:12 BST (UK) »
There are lots of mentions but no detail (in the ones I looked at) of an  Ellen Wade and Islington workhouse.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 April 18 23:17 BST (UK) »
Possibility?
1881 268/16/25
14 Brand Street Islington
Ellen wade 70 yrs widow born Ireland