Author Topic: Looking for help with prison/asylum records.  (Read 1703 times)

Offline KingKenny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for help with prison/asylum records.
« on: Thursday 26 April 18 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hello - firstly, apologies if I'm posting this on the wrong forum - I'm a newbie trying to find my way about!

I'm looking for help trying to find out a little bit about my Granddad's brother. 

I know that he was born in 1890 in Liverpool, and I've managed to find out quite a bit about him up until the year 1934/35 where he was still living in Liverpool.  However, the trail goes cold here - and the next record I can find is his death in 1977.  He died in Whittingham Hospital near Preston which I know was an asylum.

I am trying to find out what happened for him to go there for what must have been a lengthy spell - or even when he went there or if he was moved there at a later date? 

There is a family story that he may have been struggling financially and when the rent collector came to visit - he chased him away with an open razor - but there has been several of these family stories which we've managed to disprove since I started looking - I'd love to find something a little more concrete.

I've checked with Preston Town Hall - they told us that there are records but that we'd need permission from the NHS to view them - and they have refused.  I've tried to look at court records and newspapers from the time but can't find anything.

Does anybody have any ideas that may help?

Thanks in advance - I'm off for a look around the forum - Cheers.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help with prison/asylum records.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 April 18 09:33 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

Have you looked for him on the 1939 register  :-\   

We are not allowed to do lookups on this register for you but may be able to help with other information if you can tell us his name.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KingKenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 18 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Rosie - I haven't looked on the 1939 register yet - I'm signed up to ancestry.co.uk - am I correct in thinking that I can check Find My Past at libraries?

My Grandad's brother was called Thomas Muldoon.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 April 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Are you sure he was born in Liverpool?

His death reg shows his birth as December 1890 but the only Thomas Muldoon was June qtr 1889 Wigan.

What was your grandfathers name and birthyear/birthplace and what were his parents names
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 April 18 22:49 BST (UK) »
The 1901 has a Thomas Muldoon aged 9 b Liverpool in St Georges Industrial School
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 April 18 23:05 BST (UK) »
In 1891 he appears to be with his grandmother Bridget Carney who also has a married daughter Mary A Muldoon plus grand daughter Margaret Muldoon aged 5.  However - the only Muldoon marriage is March qtr 1900 - Mary Ann Carney to Roger Muldoon

Offline KingKenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 April 18 23:38 BST (UK) »
Carole - Firstly - thanks for your help.

Secondly - It's all very complicated - and we don't really understand whats happened ourselves, his life - and the life of most of my family back then appears to be fairly chaotic.

The facts as I know them:

I have Thomas in 1891 on the census - he is listed as one year old and as you say he is living with his Grandmother and his Mother (Mary-Ann).

In 1911 - he is a boarder at a house in Soho St in Liverpool and working as a Labourer.

On 5th Dec 1914 he gets married to a lady called Annie Walker.

In the same year (1914) he also joined the Merchant Navy where he serves until 1925.

He lived a long time at 11 Gerard Street - where he features on electoral registers from 1920, 1925, 1929-1930.

He has four children George in 1908, Margaret in 1912 (who dies in 1914), John in 1921 and Ellen in 1923.

His wife then passes away, also in 1923.

The last record I can find of him is another entry on the Electoral Register for 1934-35 - still living at 11 Gerard Street - but living with his mother and his brother William.

The next record is his death in 1977.

Another record I have is a New York passenger listing from 10/11/1919 where Thomas visits America - he gives his date of birth as 19th December 1890 and his birthplace as Liverpool.

Lots of questions and not many answers unfortunately.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 April 18 23:43 BST (UK) »
Marriage 8.1.1901 at St Francis Xavier Liverpool

Roger Muldoon son of Patrick and Mary Ann Carney dtr of John - no ages given and no occ for Roger

There is a Roger Muldoon birth Sept qtr 1887 - mmn Carney 
Also Edward Muldoon mmn Carney Sept 1888 died Dec 1890
Anthony Muldoon mmn Carney Dec 1894 died same qtr

but living with his mother and his brother William.

Was William born 1907?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 April 18 23:46 BST (UK) »
1871 census has a 14yr old Roger Muldoon b Liverpool with father Patrick  and there is a death in 1903 for him aged 46