Author Topic: Genealogy and the Golden State Killer, possible methods used  (Read 3657 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Genealogy and the Golden State Killer, possible methods used
« on: Friday 27 April 18 07:21 BST (UK) »
Very interesting blog by DNA geek

http://thednageek.com/genealogy-and-the-golden-state-killer/

Certainly food for thought about the possible methods used to compare the killer's DNA.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogy and the Golden State Killer, possible methods used
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 April 18 07:45 BST (UK) »
It is possible they had the DNA and using a John Doe username uploaded the file to the site then sat back and starting whittling names down through elimination until they had a second list of names. They then looked at possible suspects and matched

Thats how I think it was done

There is a case here in Australia where a serial killer was highlighted by familial DNA
(broken link)

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Killer suspect traced using genealogy websites
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 April 18 08:53 BST (UK) »
So don't take the DNA test if you're thinking of committing a crime:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43916830

or if you have known family historians amongst your relatives!
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 April 18 08:57 BST (UK) »
It is possible they had the DNA and using a John Doe username uploaded the file to the site then sat back and starting whittling names down through elimination until they had a second list of names. They then looked at possible suspects and matched

There is a case here in Australia where a serial killer was highlighted by familial DNA
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lyz/

That link takes me to a subscription only site!

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Killer suspect traced using genealogy websites
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 April 18 09:21 BST (UK) »
Similar post

topics merged
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 April 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
Still can't work out exactly how it was done. The killer left DNA at a lot of his crime scenes - did they gather it all together and mix it with saliva substitute, then send it off to be tested at a major site?

DNA Geek reckons it could have been uploaded to gedmatch, and the major companies were not involved.  Could the police lab get the DNA in exactly the right format so that it looked as though it was from another testing site?

Do enough people upload to gedmatch to get a meaningful match?

Fascinating, innocent till proven guilty, but looks like they've got the right man after all these years.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 April 18 12:00 BST (UK) »

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lyz/

That link takes me to a subscription only site!

Pheno
It shouldnt have done. Unless its Australia restricted. Hmm just checked again , I shall remove the link

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 April 18 13:54 BST (UK) »
I shouldn't but I'm laughing at don't commit and crime if you have known family historians as relatives :).
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others