Author Topic: Leah RIDDLE  (Read 356 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leah RIDDLE
« on: Friday 27 April 18 10:31 BST (UK) »
Leah RIDDLE, aged 59, died on 08 April 1901 in the Chichester Workhouse. She was a domestic servant and spinster. Her death was reported by the Master of the Workhouse.

Does anyone have any idea where she would have been buried? Her family were from Chiddingfold/Guildford in Surrey, but I can't find any record of her being buried in the usual locations for the family.

I don't know if any of her family knew of her poor health or were aware of her death. I am thinking that maybe the Workhouse arranged for the disposal of the body. If so, does anybody know what they did in these situations?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leah RIDDLE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 April 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
Usually a workhouse would just use the parish in which it was situated.  Don't know offhand what that was for Chichester.

I expect the Workhouse record of Deaths at the West Sussex Record Office would probably note where she was buried

https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/leisure-recreation-and-community/history-and-heritage/west-sussex-record-office/record-office-sources-and-collections/poor-law-records-record-office-collection/
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leah RIDDLE
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 April 18 15:06 BST (UK) »
Leah Riddle buried at North Mundham, 12 April 1901
Age 59
Abode Chichester Workhouse
Image here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DT9B-VT?i=552&cat=833988

Offline Greaves