Author Topic: John Murdie 1791 Norham  (Read 1728 times)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Murdie 1791 Norham
« on: Friday 27 April 18 12:16 BST (UK) »
I thought I would have another crack at my husbands ancesters John Murdie born abt 1791 in Norham and his wife Ann. John and Ann are my husbands 3 x great grandparents and 4 x great grandparents so they are brick walls twice.

My Husbands maternal grandfather was William Smith Murdie born 1892 in Ashington
William Smith Murdies father was John Murdie born 1854 in Shoreswood, Northumberland
John Murdie born 1854 in Shoreswood was born to Ann Murdie born 1832 in Tweedmouth a single mother
Ann born 1832 was the daughter of John Murdie born abt 1791 in Norham Northumberland

My husbands maternal grandmother was Margaret Ann Coombs born in 1893 Northumberland
Margarets parents were Charles Coombs born 1867 in Cowpen and Elizabeth Dodds born 1868 in West Moor, Northumberland
Elizabeth Dodds parents were Joseph Dodds born 1841 in Shoreswood, Northumberland and Elizabeth Murdie born 1843 Stobscross, Northumberland
Elizabeth Murdie born 1843 was the daughter of Peter Murdie born 1818 in Lavricklaw, Northumberland and Elizabeth Duff born 1821 in Norham
Peter Murdie is the brother of Ann Murdie born 1832 in Tweedmouth and the son of John Murdie born 1791 in Norham and Ann

According to the census details John Murdie was born about 1791 in Norham, Northumberland. They have 6 children William born 1814 in Chatton, Peter 1818 in Lavricklaw, John 1825 in Norham, Henry 1828 Shoreswood, Ann 1832 Tweedmouth and Jane 1835 in Tweedmouth

John, Henry and Ann were all baptised in Tweedmouth on the same day in 1832 which was on bishops transcripts under name of Mordy.

I have looked under the name Murdie, Murdy, Mordy and Mordue for a birth/marriage for John Murdie born 1791 and havent been able to find anything. Some have Anns name down as Smith which I`m guessing is from William Murdies middle name

I`m hoping someone can help chip away this brick wall. Any help would be much appreciated

Susan

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
Re: John Murdie 1791 Norham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 May 18 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,
I would be looking at the family of Thomas and Barbery Murdie who christened two children at the Presbyterian church, Etal in the 1780s. My Presbyterian Norham ancestors christened their children here.

Margaret Murdie, b 14 Feb 1786 / c 16 Feb 1786
Barbery Murdie b 9 Mar 1788 / c 18 Mar 1788

Although the family were living at Coalhouses, Ford, at the time of these events (and you might expect John Murdie to come from a mining background), the name Barbery/Barbary (an unusual rendition) crops up in relation to the family in the 1841 census - Barbary Duff, 14,  is a daughter to Andrew Duff, living nextdoor - and what looks like it might be the same person, Babary Murdie, 23, is described as a daughter in your 1851 family.

As I understand it, there are still plenty of Borders non-conformist registers that have not been indexed online, but others here will know more on that.

All the best
Rob

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 May 18 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,
I would be looking at the family of Thomas and Barbery Murdie who christened two children at the Presbyterian church, Etal in the 1780s. My Presbyterian Norham ancestors christened their children here.

Margaret Murdie, b 14 Feb 1786 / c 16 Feb 1786
Barbery Murdie b 9 Mar 1788 / c 18 Mar 1788

Although the family were living at Coalhouses, Ford, at the time of these events (and you might expect John Murdie to come from a mining background), the name Barbery/Barbary (an unusual rendition) crops up in relation to the family in the 1841 census - Barbary Duff, 14,  is a daughter to Andrew Duff, living nextdoor - and what looks like it might be the same person, Babary Murdie, 23, is described as a daughter in your 1851 family.

As I understand it, there are still plenty of Borders non-conformist registers that have not been indexed online, but others here will know more on that.

All the best
Rob

Hi Rob

There is a link to the Duff family next door to the Murdies. I know that Peter Murdie born 1819 was married to Elizabeth Duff but I didn`t notice that Peters brother John born 1825 was married to Elizabeth Duff`s sister Barbara. Thank you for pointing that out.

What makes it harder to find the family is the way their name varies Murdie,Murdy,Mordy,Mordue. Its going over the top of my head  ???

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 May 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
I am not expert on boundary changes but I did notice a Henry/Jane MURDIE Baptise a Son ROBT 12 April 1787 Etal
Note on register says;
Abode Duddoe Parish of Norham County of Durham*

Also a Margaret MURDIE Bapt a Elizabeth 23 Aug 1807 Ford
Note;
Illegitimate daughter of singlewoman, native of Duddo in Norham Parish
(this may be the Margaret 1786 Daug of Thomas/Barbery)

Both on FreeREG

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 May 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
Given the age gaps in children from 1841 Census could Ann be a second Wife for John?

1841 Census
John Murdy, 49
Ann Murdy, 48
William Murdy, 26
Peter Murdy, 22
John Murdy, 15
Hervey Murdy, 11
Ann Murdy, 7
Jane Murdy, 4

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 May 18 19:07 BST (UK) »
Given the age gaps in children from 1841 Census could Ann be a second Wife for John?

1841 Census
John Murdy, 49
Ann Murdy, 48
William Murdy, 26
Peter Murdy, 22
John Murdy, 15
Hervey Murdy, 11
Ann Murdy, 7
Jane Murdy, 4

Hi Trish

The name Henry has been used quite a bit through the Murdie family. I wonder if Henry and Jane parents of Robt born 1787 in Etal could be possible parents for John.

There does seem to be quite a difference between the first two children William and Peter. I know that John, Henry and Ann were all baptised together on 27th Jan 1832

Susan

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 May 18 15:16 BST (UK) »
Its a difficult one as we dont have all Johns childrens Baptisms to establish a possible naming pattern.
Also we dont have a Marriage/Marriage for John which hopefully may have witnesses listed.

Sorry I cant help more but new records are coming on line all the time.

Trish :)