Author Topic: Ballingall/Gall surname  (Read 727 times)

Offline heatherrr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ballingall/Gall surname
« on: Friday 27 April 18 14:56 BST (UK) »
I've been working on the Ballingall part of my tree and there are certain census/certs I can't find, but there are ones that could fit the gaps, except for the name - Gall.

Has anyone came across these names in their tree, or know if Gall could be a shortened version of Ballingall?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballingall/Gall surname
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 April 18 09:53 BST (UK) »
Does the following marriage ring any bells?

Jane BULLINGALL & John SHATTON mar 22 Jun 1732 in the English Episcopal Church, Rotterdam, Zuid Holland. A John SHATTON master taylor in Edinburgh in 1730 took on an apprentice: could he be the same person?

BULLINGALL as a surname does occur but only very rarely, so it seems to be a variation on BALLINGALL which I understand comes from the village of the same name in Fife.

The reason I ask is that my 4xgtgdfather is Thomas SHATTON, born abt 1732. His parentage and origins are a mystery - my permanent brickwall. He first turns up as a farm subtenant or labourer in Craigton, Abercorn, West Lothian, already married (well into middle age) to Betty BRASH who was local and somewhat younger. He probably initially worked for George HENDERSON in Craigton.

The SHATTON surname could be a variation on SHOTTON or a surname in its own right, there being a village in England of that name, in the Hope Valley in Derbyshire. I have already established that there is no evidence and no reason to connect my farming Thomas SHATTON to the only Lothians-based SHOTTONs who were pilots on the Forth.

Regarding GALL, I have several of that name in my tree (variations include GAUL and GAA). Check out Black's Surnames of Scotland at <<https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015011274175;view=1up;seq=27>> to get a view. At first sight there's no connection with BALLINGALL.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST (Speciality - South Uist, Inverness)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

If you post some info. with names/maiden names/dates/areas you are trying to figure out there may be someone on here who's able to help you as your request is a bit vague?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, MacKinnon, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I HAVE edited my profile - several times!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 11:27 BST (UK) »
Has anyone came across these names in their tree, or know if Gall could be a shortened version of Ballingall?
Not according to G F Black's The Surnames of Scotland, as Fordyce already told you five weeks ago.
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith