Author Topic: Can someone explain this conversation re certificates  (Read 3963 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone explain this conversation re certificates
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 April 18 06:39 BST (UK) »
I have decided I want to use my maiden name at work which led to what I find was a bizarre conversation with my professional body. since we're referring to law, I'm in Scotland btw.

First I was told it was illegal for a married woman to use her maiden name and I would have to be divorced and then use my divorce papers to be granted a deed poll to change my name or I'd be breaking the law. She then said I had to change my passport.  When I explained I didn't have a passport she claimed it was illegal not to have one for which I had to explain not if I didn't attempt to travel abroad.

After 10min of going round in circles with the above conversation she agreed I should send my birth certificate and get statements from colleagues to confirm they are happy for me to be know by my maiden name (eh?).  So I said "right so birth certificate, marriage certificate and statements?" She said "no just your birth cert" and when I asked "surely it's my marriage certificate that links the 2 names" and she said no.  worryingly she said they only accept England and wales birth certificates and I was born in Scotland so not sure if that means I don't exist  ???

Your colleague was spouting a load of rubbish, if you wish to change your name the only repeat the only way to do so is to start using your “new” name. Nobody has to approve or confirm they are happy for you to be known by your new name (or maiden name) it is your choice and your right.

Devices like deed poll only prove that a change of name has occurred they do not change your name.

Passports, if you have a passport in your old name you can legally use your passport until it expires (there is no legal requirement to change it before) however if you book airline tickets the have to be booked in the name of the person on the passport.
Banks these days will ask for proof of a name change just show them your decree absolute and your marriage certificate

There is one document you do have to change immediately and that is your driving licence. It costs nothing to do so (use form D1) as you can be fined up to £100 if you fail to notify the DVLA of a name change.

Cheers
Guy

http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 April 18 08:55 BST (UK) »

I have decided  I want to use my maiden name at work which led to what I find was a bizarre conversation with my professional body. since we're referring to law, I'm in Scotland btw.

I’m just wondering, does that mean you only want to use it at work, but retain your married name elsewhere? Does that make any difference if you wish to be known by two names at the same time?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 April 18 09:18 BST (UK) »

I have decided  I want to use my maiden name at work which led to what I find was a bizarre conversation with my professional body. since we're referring to law, I'm in Scotland btw.

I’m just wondering, does that mean you only want to use it at work, but retain your married name elsewhere? Does that make any difference if you wish to be known by two names at the same time?

I want to change it completely but thought I'd do it at work first, my bank consider it a "serious criminal offence" for a married woman to use her maiden name.  Their words not mine.  Not that it should make a difference.  It is very much the norm at my work for women to use their maiden name at work and married name at home.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 April 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
I’m afraid people where you live seem to be way behind the times and seriously misinformed when it comes to the law! I hope it is just the opinion of individuals and not the policy. I suppose in the case of the bank they may need proof of names in case you are involved in money laundering or similar, perhaps that what they meant, especially if you are using both names.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 April 18 11:18 BST (UK) »
Imagine that the professional body has a website (some probably more helpful than others). Out of curiosity I picked the Nursing & Midwifery Council one and here's what I found-

Under Registration- Staying on the Register- Updating Your Details-
https://www.nmc.org.uk/registration/staying-on-the-register/updating-your-details/
It’s really important that you’re registered using the same name that you practice in. It helps your patients, the public, and employers to find the right information about your registration.
How do I change my name?
Please use your NMC Online account to change your name. There, we’ll ask you to give us:
- your new name and title
- a copy of the official document confirming the name change (check the table below to see what documents we accept). Please make sure the document is readable when you submit this....

Clicking on the link gives choices which sound similar to what you've been told except for this one which seems to apply in your case-
I’m reverting to a previous surname (for example, a maiden name). I was previously registered with the NMC under this name
please sign a statement to confirm that you’ve gone back to your previous surname “for all purposes” and that you’re no longer using your old name

Of course this may not be the organisation you are dealing with but perhaps they have a similar site with such information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 April 18 12:56 BST (UK) »
please sign a statement to confirm that you’ve gone back to your previous surname “for all purposes” and that you’re no longer using your old name

Perhaps this is the problem if at the moment Pharma is using both names?

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 April 18 14:07 BST (UK) »
my bank consider it a "serious criminal offence" for a married woman to use her maiden name. 

In that case I've been committing a serious criminal offence for 20 years as I've never used my husband's surname!
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 April 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
my bank consider it a "serious criminal offence" for a married woman to use her maiden name. 

I know of several women who are married and who hold bank accounts in their maiden names.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 April 18 14:23 BST (UK) »
I agree Jen - a common practice.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex