Author Topic: James GOODSON & family Tasmania to Port Chalmers, NZ Aug/Sep 1873?  (Read 1377 times)

Online Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James GOODSON & family Tasmania to Port Chalmers, NZ Aug/Sep 1873?
« on: Saturday 28 April 18 00:37 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the passenger shipping details for James GOODSON, wife Betsy and possibly 10 of their 11 children who left Tasmania for Port Chalmers, Dunedin, NZ arriving in September 1873.

The "North Otago Times" newspaper reported on Tuesday 23 September 1873, the death on 19 September 1873 of Mr James Goodson aged 49 years.  He arrived only 14 days ago from Tasmania.  He died in Oamaru and is buried in the Oamaru cemetery. (Source: Goodson Family Record 1800-1990).

Background
On 10 December 1851 James Goodson and Betsy Kerrison married in St Matthais, Windermere, Launceston, Tasmania.  James was a Farmer.  They had the following children:
Mary Ann born 26 January 1853
James Stephen born 27 April 1855 (possibly remained in Tasmania)
Betsy born 6 May 1857
Henry Francis born 9 May 1859
Cornelius born 3 August 1861
Eliza born 21 July 1865
Emma born 19 July 1866
William Kirkwood born 7 March 1867
Susan born 3 November 1869
Solomon born 3 October 1870
Florida born 10 June 1872

I have checked NZ Paperspast and found a possible ship, the barque "Free Trader" which sailed from Hobart Town on 14 August, arriving in Port Chalmers, Dunedin on 22 August 1873 (Otago Witness 30 August 1873 pg 12).  Trove - The Mercury, Hobart of 15 August 1873 also reports the shipping details and identifies only one cabin passenger Mr J Paul.  The ship arrived back in Hobart on 15 September.  Did they arrive on this ship or some other?

I have checked Familysearch and found nothing there.

I am only searching for shipping details at this stage.  Any assistance to identify shipping details much appreciated.

Wendy 

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James GOODSON & family Tasmania to Port Chalmers, NZ Aug/Sep 1873?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 April 18 04:23 BST (UK) »
Can't find a passenger list for the Free Trader on that date. The article below says that Mr Paul was the only passenger and elsewhere it says it had a cargo of timber.
1873 'SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE.', The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), 10 September, p. 2. , viewed 28 Apr 2018, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8927088

This one mentions a horse owned by Goodson being shipped to Melbourne
1873 'SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE.', Cornwall Advertiser (Launceston, Tas. : 1870 - 1877), 12 August, p. 2. , viewed 28 Apr 2018, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article232906382

Its possible they sailed from Launceston, not Hobart, maybe via Melbourne

M

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 April 18 04:28 BST (UK) »

Online Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 April 18 04:59 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Matthewj64 for your posting and suggestions.
I have access to Findmypast so was able to look at the link which is very promising, although only 9 children mentioned. 
I will follow up on the Melbourne suggestion - you are probably correct that they might have come via Melbourne.
Back to Trove and Paperspast!
Thanks again
Wendy

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 April 18 06:03 BST (UK) »
Have a look at Melbourne departures for the name GOODMAN in August 1873 on the Albion 11.

https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/index.php/explore-collection/explore-topic/passenger-records-and-immigration/outwards-passenger-lists

Debra  :)

Online Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 April 18 10:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Debra for this link.
I have had a look for the Goodmans and found the following
Mrs Goodman - 44 years
Mr Goodman - 46 years
Susan - 3 years
William - 4 years
Eliza - 6 years
Emma - 7 years
Henry - 10 years
Mary - 11 years
Solomon - 1 year
Camellia - 8 years
Betsy - 12 years
Henry - 28 years
Some of the name and ages don't quite match up so not sure whether this is the correct family?  There appears to be no James, Cornelius or Florida?  However this is the "best fit" so far
James Goodson was born 11 July 1824 England and Betsy Kerrison was born in Tasmania on 18 July 1838.
Thanks again
Wendy

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 April 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
'Florida' was actually 'Flora Ida'.

https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD33-1-50p712j2k

James Stephen married in 1882 at Launceston to Mary Jane AYMER.  They had a daughter Flora Ada in 1883.

https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD37-1-41p351j2k

'Camellia' would be Cornelius.  The handwriting is usually awful and probably a copy so ages on manifests are usually incorrect.  I have seen people change sex and dramatically change age between leaving one port and arriving in another.

Debra  :)

Online Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 April 18 02:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Debra for the posting and links to documents.  I wondered if "Camellia" could be Cornelius.
Interesting when looking at the Trove newspapers I found a marriage on 2 Jan 1883 for Henry Francis Goodson to Charlotte MURFET, 2nd dau of the late Mr Samuel Murfet of Stillwell (Source Launceston Examiner, Thurs 4 January 1883) so he returned to Australia.
I intend to include the shipping details in the bio's of Emma Rusbatch nee Goodson and Mary Ann Carlyon nee Goodson, who both signed the NZ 1893 Women's Suffrage Petition to Parliament.
Many thanks for all the assistance which I received - it is very much appreciated.
Wendy