Author Topic: Prisoners of war In Cornwal/Devonl Uk  (Read 614 times)

Offline Storm™

• RootsChat Member
  • John Patrick Cox b. 17th March 1906 - My Grandad
    • View Profile
Prisoners of war In Cornwal/Devonl Uk
« on: Saturday 28 April 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
I am attempting to see if there was a prisoner or prisoners of .... a war .... employed on the property I am researching.

A rumour handed down was that one day the military turned up and said .... hmmm youre remote can we leave some POWs with you to work here.

I do not know who would hold those records if they even exist so its a generic answer that ill get I am guessing. But I have also read that Parishes where POWs were kept ... this is Launceston UK and there were 2 camps or maybe 3 .... let it be known how many they had. Each day you had to make a request for help on your farm and those would be supplied. How true this is I have no idea but it would be at least a step toward plausibility. Assuming this is true some form of register was probably kept.

Anyone know the process?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Prisoners of war In Cornwal/Devonl Uk
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 April 18 11:07 BST (UK) »
I am attempting to see if there was a prisoner or prisoners of .... a war .... employed on the property I am researching.

A rumour handed down was that one day the military turned up and said .... hmmm youre remote can we leave some POWs with you to work here.

I do not know who would hold those records if they even exist so its a generic answer that ill get I am guessing. But I have also read that Parishes where POWs were kept ... this is Launceston UK and there were 2 camps or maybe 3 .... let it be known how many they had. Each day you had to make a request for help on your farm and those would be supplied. How true this is I have no idea but it would be at least a step toward plausibility. Assuming this is true some form of register was probably kept.

Anyone know the process?

Prisoners from what war  ???
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline Storm™

• RootsChat Member
  • John Patrick Cox b. 17th March 1906 - My Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 April 18 14:56 BST (UK) »
Maybe start here?   http://www.cornwallswarhistory.co.uk/maps/prison-camps/   
or here http://thatsmycornwall.com/ww2-prisoners-of-war-in-cornwall/

Many Thanks Greenrig. I'll get started.

ref previous post "which war" ... I already quilified that in first post ... "prisoners of .... a war" ... can't tell you what I don't know .... enriched by the qualifying statement after ... "rumur" etc ... sorry lol.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 April 18 10:35 BST (UK) »
For what it is worth, it is said that the Spanish Barn in Torquay held prisoners from the Napoleonic wars.  Don't know if any records survive. 

I imagine there may well be lists of prisoners pertaining to various wars and holding points, but your query is SO generic it does make answering rather tricky.  :-\
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.