Author Topic: "Failure to Maintain"  (Read 4079 times)

Offline dragonlady403

• RootsChat Senior
  • Reaching through the Mists of Time
    • View Profile
"Failure to Maintain"
« on: Saturday 28 April 18 12:51 BST (UK) »
As usual with this family - bodies continue to pop up unexpectedly!

Leon Reece Brookes Gould was living in Wgton in 1908.  In July 1908 he sued a company for wages (lost the case I think).  In Aug 1908 a warrant was issued for "Failing to Provide".  In Dec 1908 he turns up in BC Canada.

So the question for me was... who was this child he was supposed to provide for?  We had no idea a child existed by him in NZ.

I can't find any record of a child under his surname and don't know anything more than:

New Zealand Police Gazette - list of Unexecuted Warrants for the Quarter Ended 30 September 1908
Leon Rus (should be Reece) Gould Fails to Provide Date of Issue Aug 31, 1908 Wellington.

My question(s):  1) Would it be possible to obtain further information about this warrant somehow? 2) Would it be possible to try to determine who this child was?

THANKS for any help!!!!!
Regards, Carol
Johnston - New Zealand; Scotland
Brookes - New Zealand; England
Morris- Liverpool Lancs, UK; New Zealand
Hatter - Wiltshire UK; Otago New Zealand
Ainslie & Strachan - Midlothian, Scotland; New Zealand
Paull -St Agnes, St Columb Minor Parish Cornwall; South Africa; New Zealand
Gould & Reece- Stroud, Gloucestershire UK; New Zealand
Oakly - Australia, NZ; UK
Downes -UK; Australia; NZ
Kinghorn - Jamaica; England; Scotland
Murphy - County Kerry, Ireland; NZ

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: "Failure to Maintain"
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 April 18 14:36 BST (UK) »
Have you checked out NZ archives as that is where any information/records would be http://archives.govt.nz/resources/research-resources/research-guides/law-and-courts-wellington-html
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline dragonlady403

• RootsChat Senior
  • Reaching through the Mists of Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 April 18 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi iluleah, Sorry, but I'm not particularly gifted with Archway and rarely seem to have much luck. I do a lot better with PapersPast which is easier to use.

I did do a search for Leon on Archway but nothing came up. Is that a different resource to the one you have provided? 
Regards, Carol
Johnston - New Zealand; Scotland
Brookes - New Zealand; England
Morris- Liverpool Lancs, UK; New Zealand
Hatter - Wiltshire UK; Otago New Zealand
Ainslie & Strachan - Midlothian, Scotland; New Zealand
Paull -St Agnes, St Columb Minor Parish Cornwall; South Africa; New Zealand
Gould & Reece- Stroud, Gloucestershire UK; New Zealand
Oakly - Australia, NZ; UK
Downes -UK; Australia; NZ
Kinghorn - Jamaica; England; Scotland
Murphy - County Kerry, Ireland; NZ

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 April 18 20:39 BST (UK) »

Leon Reece Brookes Gould was living in Wgton in 1908.  In July 1908 he sued a company for wages (lost the case I think). In Aug 1908 a warrant was issued for "Failing to Provide".  In Dec 1908 he turns up in BC Canada.

Hi Carol

Does the "issue of a warrant - 1908" , form part of a newspaper article ???  (Couldn't see it ? )

How do you know the "Failing to Provide" charge relates to a "child"  ?

A maintenance order would have been issued sometime before GOULD was charged with a breach of same .... have you searched back in time for any order made against him ?  [Not all these type of cases made it into the newspapers. ]

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 April 18 21:05 BST (UK) »
... just incidentally Carol, when looking at the Probate documents for the parents of Leon R.B. GOULD (in case they might reveal names of "grandchildren"), I noticed that the NZ death certificates of both parents were appended to the file of Godfrey Reece GOULD.   [Mention this in case it's of interest to you.  ;) ]

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9G3-LK3S?i=215&cc=1865481

[Eliza GOULD died (Intestate) about 6 weeks after her husband in April 1921 - there's a separate file for her. ]

~  Lu

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 April 18 00:31 BST (UK) »
In case it helps ... my experience is that "Failing to maintain" related to an (ex-)wife, and named that female.

Where the same man also had a child he was to 'maintain' the Police Gazette said explicitly "for the maintenance of his child" and named that child.

In the same pages of the Police Gazette were "compelled to maintain his mother" or a child/ren; and an "induced to maintain his children" (but the child was not named).

So maintenance could be for a child, a wife or a mother from these examples.
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 April 18 00:42 BST (UK) »
In your case it is an illegitimate child.  If you go back to that Police Gazette and then to page 382 you will see the full description.

Added link to Gazette http://ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE26162726
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 April 18 00:42 BST (UK) »
As usual with this family - bodies continue to pop up unexpectedly!

Leon Reece Brookes Gould was living in Wgton in 1908.  In July 1908 he sued a company for wages (lost the case I think).  In Aug 1908 a warrant was issued for "Failing to Provide".  In Dec 1908 he turns up in BC Canada.

So the question for me was... who was this child he was supposed to provide for?  We had no idea a child existed by him in NZ.

I can't find any record of a child under his surname and don't know anything more than:

New Zealand Police Gazette - list of Unexecuted Warrants for the Quarter Ended 30 September 1908
Leon Rus (should be Reece) Gould Fails to Provide Date of Issue Aug 31, 1908 Wellington.

My question(s):  1) Would it be possible to obtain further information about this warrant somehow? 2) Would it be possible to try to determine who this child was?

THANKS for any help!!!!!
Regards, Carol

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 April 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol ...

Have now looked at the 1908 Police Gazette listing.

... failing to provide for his unborn illegitimate child  ... the complainant was Mabel ADAMS.

~  Lu