Author Topic: Who were the parents of Daniel GARNER bap 1782 Thrussington?  (Read 725 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who were the parents of Daniel GARNER bap 1782 Thrussington?
« on: Saturday 28 April 18 14:50 BST (UK) »
A bit concerned I may have made a mistake and as a result seeking your opinion.  A cousin has different parents for Daniel.

My process.
Eleanor GARNER is my 4th great grandmother & she married William DALE  27 Dec 1824 in Thrussington. 

The marriage and banns do not indicate a previous marriage and as a result I looked for an Eleanor GARNER baptised possibly around 1800 in Thrussington.

The only Eleanor GARNER suitable was the baptism in Thrussington of Eleanor GARNER daughter of Daniel GARNER & Anne PHIPPS baptised 02 Jun 1804.  My cousin's tree concurs and we both have Daniel & Anns marriage 2 Apr 1804.  Daniel and Ann were married by Banns and both of the Parish.  William GARNER was a witness.

In stepping back I now looked for a baptism around 1784 - 1779 [aged between 20 - 25] of Daniel in the same Parish of Thrussington.  I located the baptism of Daniel GARNER 01 Dec 1782 son of William GARNER & Eleanor Thrussington.

In backtracking I then looked for baptisms  of children to William & Eleanor GARNER with the earliest being Thomas 09 Sep 1776.

I then looked for a marriage between William GARNER & Eleanor around this period and located the marriage by Banns between William GARNER & Eleanor WRIGHTE Thrussington 06 May 1776.

The marriage record noted that William was a widower and Eleanor a singlewoman.

I then located an earlier marriage for William GARNER & located a marriage between William GARNER & Ann CHAMBERS 19 Jun 1770 by Banns Thrussington.  Ann was buried 18 Feb 1772.  Ann was baptised Thrussington 21 May 1749.

However my cousin's tree does not concur as he has Daniel GARNERS parents as Daniel GARNER & Sarah FEWKES with Daniel being baptised 7 MAY 1786 at Hoby.  The marriage between Daniel GARNER & Sarah FEWKES occured at Frisby On The Wreak 13 Jul 1783.

This scenario doesnt tally for me as when Daniel GARNER was  buried his age was given as 73

I then looked for the baptism of Daniel GARNER husband of Ann PHIPPS was buried 13 Aug 1856 Thrussington his age was given as 73 which tallies with a birth/baptism 1782 as opposed to a baptism in 1786.

However even though my logic seems well founded, I may well be wrong and my cousins tree correct so hoping for opinions; its very important for me to be on the correct path with the correct lines.

Westy

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Who were the parents of Daniel GARNER bap 1782 Thrussington?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 April 18 17:06 BST (UK) »
On the 1851 census it shows Daniel aged 68 years and Ann 66 years, which would tie in with his age at death of 73 years.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 18 00:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Paco. 

Westy

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 April 18 03:55 BST (UK) »
I think that you have the right Daniel GARNER. Have you seen the reports of his death? Inquest held 12 August 1856 - this report in Leicestershire Mercury, Saturday, August 16, 1856, Vol. XXI, Issue 1049, p.2.

Not proof, but the naming of Eleanor also seems to support your view.

Then there is an item about the first anniversary of the Leicestershire Agricultural Society in 1834 which mentions Daniel GARNER (born c1757) of Hoby, who I suspect is the one who married Sarah FEWKES in 1783. The clipping from Derby Mercury, Wednesday, December 17, 1834, Issue 5344

Offline Bunnygirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Keep plodding on you Will find it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 April 18 07:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
In the notes from Frisby on the Wreake pr Daniel Garner was from Whissendine Rutland. as follows
Marriage 13 July 1783 to Sarah Fewkes  he is of Whitsundin in  county of Rutland .

Bunnygirl 
Leicestershire; Rothley,  Fowkes, Biddles, Dawson, Allen, Lambert, Tebbett, Needham , Horner, Cooper, Pagett, Jaques, Kinton, Newbald, Duffill    Halford, Cope, Bywater , Hunt
Bedfordshire; Cardington, Trueman, Wilstead  Bridges, Clark(e), Redman
Essex; Eady, Newman, Copsey, Rawlin, Gilders, Smith  
Rotherhithe; Henderson, Eady. Lambert
Rutland & Bedfordshire  Staffod, Glover, Tom(b)lin
Suffolk  (Wissington) Eady.
Lincolnshire, Tomlin

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 April 18 13:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bunnygirl & Maddy,

Most appreciative of your assistance.  Maddy I hadnt considered looking in the newspapers.  I can only say  :-[

I now feel sure Daniel GARNER of Thrussington is my man.

Westy