Author Topic: What became of Emma Senior - born 1851?  (Read 5151 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What became of Emma Senior - born 1851?
« on: Saturday 28 April 18 15:42 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out what became of my Great Grandfather James Senior's sister who was called Emma Senior.

She was the daughter of Edward Senior and Mary Innis and was born in 1851 in Lanchester in Durham.

The last sighting I think I have of her is in 1871 when I think she may be living with a Margaret Grieveson in Gateshead.  Emma is described as a cousin. 

I don't know anything about the early life of Emma's Father Edward so I don't know about any siblings of his.  I once tried to look up his marriage record at Durham archives but there were blanks for everyone's Fathers in the register where he married (All Saints, Lanchester).  I was later told that it is the same on the marriage certificate.  (All I know about Edward is that he was a gentleman farmer and then a publican of the Half Moon Inn in Durham.  He appears to have been a man of means but I do not know where he got his capital from.  However, when he died I don't think there was a will). ???

Emma's Mother was an only child.

I was just wondering if anyone out there may know what might have become of Emma, presuming that this is her on the 1871 census?

I would greatly appreciate hearing from you if you may know more or have any suggestions.  I have been able to trace all her siblings - she is the only one who has me stumped.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What became of Emma Senior - born 1851?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 April 18 15:50 BST (UK) »
Emma was born in Fishburn by the looks of it - & she is there in 1851 aged 3mo in Edward & Mary’s large household: HO107/2384/616/20.

Birth reg: Emma Senior mmn Innis, Mar qtr 1851 Stockton.

Birthplace is Fishburn again per 1861: RG9/3737/67/2.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Online Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 April 18 15:52 BST (UK) »
At 20 in 1871 she was of marriage age but expect you have checked for marriages 1871-1881?

I sometimes look just for first name year and birthplace in the next census then check the marriages from the husbands name.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 April 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
and was born in 1851 in Lanchester in Durham.

Are you sure?  I don't see any birth registration for an Emma Senior in Lanchester RD in 1851  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 April 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
and was born in 1851 in Lanchester in Durham.

Are you sure?  I don't see any birth registration for an Emma Senior in Lanchester RD in 1851  :-\

Not born Lanchester - see reply #1.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 April 18 16:04 BST (UK) »
Edward Senior was 40 b Middlesex in 1851, and 48 at death in Durham RD, Dec qtr 1858.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 April 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all these helpful posts.  Sorry, I got mixed up.  It was her parents who married in Lanchester.  She appears to have been born in Fishburn, which I think was in Stockton.  I am not familiar with these Durham areas.

I have not got my notes to hand but I am sure according to a birth notice she was born on 3 January 1851 according to a newspaper birth notice.  This birth registration will be correct as her Mother's maiden name was Innis. 

Actually, I need to amend something on my first post - I have been able to trace all the male siblings.  I don't know what became of her sister Mary Louisa Senior either.

I have not been able to find a likely husband but this could just be down to my researching. :-\

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 April 18 16:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for helping.  I have noticed that Edward was recorded as from Middlesex but I do not know about what family he came from - his early life.  I think he must have come from a family with money perhaps to be able to have a large farm and then to go on to buy the pub.  He became the vice president of the licensed victualler's association and died after a short illness according to newspapers.  Buried at St Oswalds, Durham.   His son Charles Edward seems to have (mysteriously) died in a hotel in Newcastle.  He was buried in Gateshead and was described as a 'Gentleman' on the burial register.

I am just throwing this open on RootsChat now - just on the off-chance that there may be someone out there who already knows the answer to what became of Emma.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 April 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
An Edward Senior born 14 Aug 1810 was baptised at St George Hanover Square on 2 Sep 1810.

Parents: William & Isabella.