Author Topic: Another Manson!!  (Read 5646 times)

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Another Manson!!
« on: Saturday 28 April 18 16:21 BST (UK) »
Anney Manson born 1799 in Watten, Caithness, parents David Manson and Janet Munro.  I can find nothing about her nor her father David.  I don't even know if she survived infancy can anyone help please?  Thanks.
David Manson was a soldier in the Caithness military according to Anney Manson baptism, witnesses were John Manson, Spittle Parish of Hallkirk and Peter Finlayson of Toftingal.
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Offline Colubus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Another Manson!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for late response, but I'm new to Rootschat. No direct help, but I have a possible connection to Jane Manson who married William Cogle in Bower (near Watten) in 1776. Their daughter Ann married James Cardo, a soldier from the Rothesay and Caithness Fencibles in 1799. I found a copy of his military record a few years ago from the archives of the Chelsea pensioners. I believe they are now at the national archives at Kew.
Also, according to Caithness.org, the Cogle(Coghill) estate 'included the present day lands of Cogle, Gersa and Scottack (Scottag). Old records sometimes refer to the estate as "Coglefute". About 1700 the last Coghill sold the lands to Manson of Bridgend, Watten.'

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colubus, do you know who the parents of Jane Manson are as I do not seem to have her in my tree (as yet), thanks :).

Offline Colubus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 November 21 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Not certain on Jane's parents. There are a couple of likely candidate baptisms I have found, both in Olrig, which is in the right geographical area. They are in 1748 (father=John) and 1751 (father=Alexander) but I haven't seen enough to confirm. Jane's marriage record may have a father's name but the transcript I've seen doesn't include it. After that there seem to be any number of John Mansons to choose from so unpicking it will be a challenge.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 November 21 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes finding out for sure is very difficult :(.  I have stuck on a few of my ancestors because I cannot find proof of parentage.  All I could see was that William Cogle came from Clagoch (can't find that on a map).  If I happen to come upon them I will let you know, happy hunting.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 November 21 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I realise it has been a while since your original post. I did a search on SP and noticed the records you mentioned, plus one more.

DAVID MANSON   Married    JANET MONRO   27/01/1798   Thurso

ANNEY 3/07/1799 – Only child Watten
ALEXANDER 14/12/1802 - Only child Thurso

I also noticed that there were earlier records for a David Manson, maybe not connected but worth consideration, sadly death records in the County a few and far between.

DAVID MANSON   Married    EMILIA DUNBAR   08/03/1776   Watten

JEAN 25/11/1781, GEORGE 8/10/1785, WILLIAM 31/08/1788, ANN 3/10/1792

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 November 21 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much ColC, I am slowly moving back on my tree and others help is invaluable, thanks.