Author Topic: Brown/Abercrombie  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Callsher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Brown/Abercrombie
« on: Saturday 28 April 18 16:39 BST (UK) »
I am researching David Brown who was married to Mary/Margaret Abercrombie on 18 August 1798 in Auchterderran, Fife. I have found information on the Abercrombies but nothing on David Brown. They had three children: Catherine b 1799, David b 1801 and Alexander b 1804 - all in Auchterderran. I have information on Catherine and Alexander but nothing on son David either. Ah the elusive David Browns! Grrr Any help most welcome, thank you.
Callan, Sheridan, Gray, Brown, Lawson, Ormerod, Wishart, Hudson, Birkenshaw, Dryden

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Brown/Abercrombie
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 April 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Callsher,

It may be an idea to let us know what info. you already have e.g. any census or death records etc. so people don't research avenues you've already been down?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Callsher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 April 18 17:32 BST (UK) »
I only have what I have listed for the two David Browns ie a marriage for the elder one and a birth for the younger one - no census records, death records, wills, burials, or other birth or marriages :-(
I have checked Scotland's People, Ancestry, but as you can imagine there are thousands of David Browns :-(
Callan, Sheridan, Gray, Brown, Lawson, Ormerod, Wishart, Hudson, Birkenshaw, Dryden

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 April 18 17:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks,

Have you tried 1841 https://www.freecen.org.uk/ which I believe to have full coverage of Scotland (prior to using SP)?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 April 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
Callsher,

What docs do you have on the children & where, can you give details please?

I had a look on SP for a death for surname beginning Aber (to allow for variants) with other surname Brown but nothing showing i.e. Mary/Margaret may have died pre 1855 which was the start of statutory records in Scotland.

On the other hand, info. on a DC is only what the informant knew i.e. it's not impossible for the informant not to have known her m/surname?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 April 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
What is the name of Mary/Margaret on the baptisms of her children?

Can you be specific as to why the uncertainty of her forename?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 April 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
There are 2 deaths listed on SP 1864 Auchterderran with name Margaret Brown but no age given  ::)

May be worth a look anyway as there may be enough info. to either confirm or rule her out?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 April 18 18:37 BST (UK) »
Did the children remain in Fife, do you have DCs for them with info. on David Snr. with his occ?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 April 18 19:07 BST (UK) »
In 1841 Auchterderran there's a David Brown, 'Shoe Maker' aged 70
He has a younger woman in the household named Jean aged 55
No way of telling if this could be a 2nd marriage?

I'm thinking of the fact there seems to have been only 3 children born to David & Mary/Margaret, could she have died early on, just a thought?

I think you need the info. from the deaths of the children to try to establish David's occ. to progress?

Annie

Add...From the Index of OPRs (Baptisms) it seems Mary/Margaret is Mary i.e. I'm unsure of where 'Margaret' becomes a possibility as it kind of leads things astray?