Author Topic: Arthur (Ray) Bent (1895-1969) - looking for a clean up  (Read 942 times)

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur (Ray) Bent (1895-1969) - looking for a clean up
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 April 18 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

It's been about 2 years since I first started learning about 'photo restoration'. I initially asked about collaboration between restorers but the feedback was that many restorers preferred to work on their own restores from start to finish

This is the first time for me in 2 years that anyone (in this case Loord74) has taken one of my B&W restores and added colour to it. I'm truly honoured that Loord74 decided to add to what I'd already posted rather than repeat all the B&W clean-up steps that I'd already taken.

I just want to note that the (unplanned and ad-hoc) collaboration between Loord74 and myself produced a great result. Much better than I would produced working alone.

Mike

I think it is a great 'collabration' that has produced a brilliant coloured version & I am honoured to be the recepient of your joint work - 2 very talented restorers
Keith

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 April 18 16:44 BST (UK) »
Just for the record Mike..The reason for my footnote on my profile re: others using my work is because I have had problems in the past with people using my work and passing it off as their own. I prefer to start and finish my own restores but would not object, if people asked to use my work which they have done many times by PM in the past, and acknowledge it on the board.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 April 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Loord74, permission gladly granted! I'm all for re-use and further improvement/adaption wherever possible (though I accept that some other restorers don't share this view). Thanks for your mention. I'm delighted and honoured that you selected my restore to add colour to. Seeing my B&W restoration in colour is wonderful! Great work!

Please feel free to 'colourise' any of my restorations. I usually don't have the time or patience :)

Mike

Based on Mike Morrell (NL) restoration ,,I added colours ..Hope Mike will give me permission for that

Thats very kind Mike...Whish you all the best :)

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 April 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
I really think that it is right for the member  who carried out the restoration process to refer to his work and to ask for his permission if anything is added to it, whether in color or otherwise anything else , Unfortunately, I have faced several cases in which my efforts were used in  restoration without referring to me and this is what makes me feel uncomfortable. both Mike and Carol point of view Deserve attention, respect and appreciation.

Really working on your restoration Mike made me happy  ;)

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 April 18 20:29 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I agree with Carol on this. I have also added a line on the bottom of my profile to the effect that restorers should not use my restorations without my permission. This was added when I spent a long, long time once doing a particularly difficult restoration and somebody, who I will not name, used all my work, changed a couple of small parts and posted it as their own work. I had made a slight modification to the original and exactly the same modification appeared on the other persons 'restoration'.
The main thing about colourising a photo is that the restoration has to be done first. This is essential to any result. If I don't have the time, interest or patience to restore a photo, then I wont do it.
If somebody asks me in advance if they can use my restoration and this has happened, I have given permission as long as my original work is acknowledged. I see it as a form of a compliment.

I'm sorry Keith to have hijacked your post. I have been on holiday for 10 days, so have not worked on your recent posts, but I look forward to seeing more of your great photos.
Pat

Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 April 18 12:39 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I agree with Carol on this. I have also added a line on the bottom of my profile to the effect that restorers should not use my restorations without my permission. This was added when I spent a long, long time once doing a particularly difficult restoration and somebody, who I will not name, used all my work, changed a couple of small parts and posted it as their own work. I had made a slight modification to the original and exactly the same modification appeared on the other persons 'restoration'.
The main thing about colourising a photo is that the restoration has to be done first. This is essential to any result. If I don't have the time, interest or patience to restore a photo, then I wont do it.
If somebody asks me in advance if they can use my restoration and this has happened, I have given permission as long as my original work is acknowledged. I see it as a form of a compliment.

I'm sorry Keith to have hijacked your post. I have been on holiday for 10 days, so have not worked on your recent posts, but I look forward to seeing more of your great photos.
Pat

No problem Pat - I understand that this is a important & sensitive matter for you & all the other talented restorers.
Keith