Author Topic: Are George Wrayton GRUBB & George Railton GRUBB the Same Person? HOOD links?  (Read 1710 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Are George Wrayton GRUBB & George Railton GRUBB the Same Person? HOOD links?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 April 18 00:31 BST (UK) »
Yes I see.

Well, Robert Railton “Grub” (snr, who married Mary Ann Stephenson) was baptised 9 April 1826 at North Dalton, Yorks to George Grub and Macey (as transcribed).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Are George Wrayton GRUBB & George Railton GRUBB the Same Person? HOOD links?
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 April 18 00:35 BST (UK) »
William Grubb, father of the 1860 infant George, is likely to have been baptised 27 Nov 1822 at Cottingham.  Parents: Robert and Elisabeth.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 April 18 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hello

1) I believe my ancestor George Hood of Selby, born circa 1785 to 1787 has no surviving baptism record. George Hood was buried by the Quakers at Selby 1845 as "Not in Membership", aged 60 years (more details bottom of my posts).

2) His Father might be John Hood of Selby, Mariner (buried Selby April 1819, aged 82 years) and I have a lineage for him back to the early 18th Century at Scarborough (where his Daughter Maudland Hood was baptised).

-----------

Therefore, we are looking at ways, where I can find links between John Hood of Selby, Mariner and George Hood of Selby, Cooper, Tanner & Brewer. I attach my information 1st page of this thread briefly summarised into two columns, to explain what I am up to (begun with thanks to Rootschatters & some additional information Claire off board).

It seems the GRUBB family have married into the descendants of paragraphs 2) & 1).

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Are George Wrayton GRUBB & George Railton GRUBB the Same Person?
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 May 18 15:28 BST (UK) »
Looks like he was probably a son of William and Martha, of 5 Pleasant Place, South Myton?

1861: RG9/3593/34/17 (no George as already deceased pre-census).

William Grubb married Martha Turner, Jun qtr 1850 Hull.

Hello

Thank you. The 1861 Death Certificate arrived today for George Railton GRUBB and it says:-

HULL
Death in the Sub-district of Myton
26th January 1861
Died Pleasant Place, English Street
George Railtor GRUBB
Male
1 Year
Son of William GRUBB Fireman on a Steam Packet
Hydrocephalus Convulsions 8 hours Certified
Informant The mark of Mary SCARBOROUGH present at the death 146 English Street, Hull
Registered 29th January 1861
Edw Sidebottom Registrar

1861 Census - Hull
5 Pleasant Place
William GRUBB, Head, Marr, 38, Packet Fireman, Yorkshire, Cottingham
Martha GRUBB, Wife,  Marr, 36,                          Yorkshire, Selby
Thomas Turner GRUBB,   Son, 10, Scholar,        Yorkshire, Hull
John William GRUBB,       Son,  7, Scholar,         Yorkshire, Hull
Charles Marshall GRUBB, Son,  5,                       Lincolnshire, Newholland
Mary Ellen GRUBB,            Daur, 3,                      Yorkshire, Hull

Also got one child with MARSHALL as a middle name, as well as RAILTON / RAILTOR and the other TURNER (after his Mother).

It does look like the descendants of John Hood of Selby, Mariner, whose Daughter Maudland HOOD married Charles TURNER at Selby, are linked to the descendants of John HOOD of Selby, Tanner whose descendant Evelyn Hood MARSHALL (residence Holme, District of Howden) married Thomas GRUBB 1906, who incidentally is a descendant of Railton GRUBB.

Initial research in the right hand column of the table also checks out perfect too.

This is the first really positive link between the families of John Hood of Selby, Mariner and George Hood of Selby, Cooper, Tanner & Brewer, whose Son was John Hood of Selby, Tanner.

Thank you, Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 May 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Mary Scarborough was a neighbor - living at 150 English Street. Her maiden surname was GLASBY and married William Scarborough in 1846. The marriage was witnessed by a William Scarborough ( possibly his father ) and a Sarah Wilkison ( she signed as Wilkison )

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk