Author Topic: Bernard New Orleans 1847  (Read 5316 times)

Offline loggaman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bernard New Orleans 1847
« on: Saturday 28 April 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I have John Anthony Bernard and Eleanor Goddard married 1837 in Kent England he was reputed to have estates in New Orleans and traveled between US and UK. I find a marriage in 1847 in New Orleans in 1847 same two people. I have nothing else on John but Eleanor  Goddard was born in Guernsey 1811 and died in Hastings UK in 1903, she was found in the 1880 census in Hastings but between 1837 and 1880 apart from a possible 1861 census in Jersey in 1861 there is nothing. Have trolled newspapers , ships lists etc without any luck in the USA. The family name also known as Bernard de Montjauret which is what is on her gravestone . Is it possible that these are the same people? Would they have had to be married in US as well as UK. They had no children.
Thanks
Alex
Gill McIntosh Niven Forbes Taylor Munro (Mainly NE Scotland)

Gould Millar Goddard Watkins Walkden  Bernard Collins Sherriff Tempest
From all over

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bernard New Orleans 1847
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 April 18 18:19 BST (UK) »

There is a New Orleans probate (Dec 1867) for John A Bernard on Ancestry. It is dated St Helier, Jersey
The will was created/signed in St Helier, Jersey on 23 August 1866. John is a native of New Orleans. He leaves ¾ of his estate to his wife Eleanor Bernard born Goddard and  ¼ to his natural children William and Lodoiska.

In 1891 Eleanor is residing in Hastings, St Mary in the Castle, Sussex, England. She listed as being 76y and born in Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 18 18:26 BST (UK) »
Further info here if needed.  ;)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=792573.0

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 April 18 18:37 BST (UK) »

You are so considerate Sandra  :)

I was just pondering whether I was going to post many of the same things. Pity that the owner of this post didn't tell us about the other post when he started this one. It would have saved me some valuable time.

Sylvia

Offline loggaman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 April 18 19:57 BST (UK) »

There is a New Orleans probate (Dec 1867) for John A Bernard on Ancestry. It is dated St Helier, Jersey
The will was created/signed in St Helier, Jersey on 23 August 1866. John is a native of New Orleans. He leaves ¾ of his estate to his wife Eleanor Bernard born Goddard and  ¼ to his natural children William and Lodoiska.

In 1891 Eleanor is residing in Hastings, St Mary in the Castle, Sussex, England. She listed as being 76y and born in Guernsey, Channel Islands

Thank you so much, my original question was whether they needed to be married in the US as well as the UK to see if these are the same people. In any of Eleanors letters I have found they never mention children or indeed the replies from my family. They would have to have been alive to be in the will as opposed to be stillborn or died young. I have Eleanor in Hastings from 1880 onwards to 1903 which Im sure is correct. I found them in Jersey in the 1861 census her birth given as 1820 and place of birth New Orleans but that info can be flakey depending on who wrote it out Johns age given as 62 born New Orleans. I never found a death for John in New Orleans or Jersey or in the UK. I have the records for the Goddards family in Guernsey there is no Eleanor in the family all I found was a Helena which is close enough I guess b1808 bp 1811.

From all over

Offline loggaman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 April 18 20:06 BST (UK) »

You are so considerate Sandra  :)

I was just pondering whether I was going to post many of the same things. Pity that the owner of this post didn't tell us about the other post when he started this one. It would have saved me some valuable time.

Sylvia
Sorry Sylvia not  sure I have the same two couples they are similar in many ways but Im not convinced family notes say they had a sugar plantation in Baton Rouge but early research way badly flawed with no hard evidence. The only concrete evidence I have is she was a sister of Selina Goddard who was born in Guernsey 7 Apr 1816 I never found a birth for her although all the rest of the family were recorded. That she married John Augustus Anthony Bernard in Kent 1837 and she was in England Hastings from 1880 census till she died in 1903. Didnt think the other post was relevant cos Im grasping at straws with it . Dont really understand why they would get married again 10 years later.

From all over

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 April 18 21:23 BST (UK) »
I'm very intrigued by those 2 natural children ... who were they?

And who was the wife in the 1845 passport application?:
United States Passport Applications, 1795-1925
Name:   John A Bernard
Event Type:   Passport Application
Event Date:   1845
Event Place:   United States
Birth Year (Estimated):   1797
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99D4-TSXT-H?i=226&cc=2185145

PS have you acquired Eleanor's 1904 probate/will yet?
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar/GetImgSrc?filePath=%2F1904%2FB%2F000204_beresford_1904.Png

Offline loggaman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 April 18 21:36 BST (UK) »

And who was the wife in the 1845 passport application?:
United States Passport Applications, 1795-1925
Name:   John A Bernard
Event Type:   Passport Application
Event Date:   1845
Event Place:   United States
Birth Year (Estimated):   1797
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99D4-TSXT-H?i=226&cc=2185145

PS have you acquired Eleanor's 1904 probate/will yet?
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar/GetImgSrc?filePath=%2F1904%2FB%2F000204_beresford_1904.Png
John had been married before his status was widower on Marr cert  1837 yes I got probate for Eleanor she left everything to her friend Charlotte Breville a cousin who seemed to live close to her.

From all over

Offline loggaman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 April 18 21:57 BST (UK) »

Is it possible the children were from the previous marriage?

From all over