Author Topic: Clendinnen and Swayne  (Read 2193 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clendinnen and Swayne
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 April 18 20:14 BST (UK) »
Plenty in 1860's  but none Wexford...

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Drl1959

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 May 18 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy and Hallmark,

I have been researching the various Swayne/Swaine/Swains and have talked to Cathy on FB about this recently.  I guess you could say I'm doing a one name study, but I'm just getting started on it. 

There were a number of different Swayne families in Ireland around the same time and it is easy to get them confused.  I probably have at least half a dozen John Swaynes with not a lot of information on.  Also, there are a number of Samuels and Williams. 

In Wexford, there was a large number of Swaynes in both Scarawalsh and Tincurry in Ballycarney.  They may have been related, but I haven't found a connection yet.  There were also Swaynes in Monart, Ballycanew, near Newtonbarry and a few other places.  Pinpointing them down is difficult when the records just aren't available and it's tempting to try to make something "fit". 

A fellow researcher was recently in Ireland and found John Swayne and Mary Cecilia Robson's marriage record.  I was just sent a transcript.  They were married in Enniscorthy on 26 July 1818  and it states both parties were from Newtonbarry.  John Swayne was born before 1800 and unfortunately the Newtonbarry records start after he was born. 

In the Memorial you posted, it says that John and Mary Cecilia lived in Carley's Bridge.  I found that on a map.  There was a John Swayne in Carrignabruse and I suspect this might be him.  Unfortunately, the baptisms I was sent from Enniscorthy do NOT include any children from this couple.  Another option for baptisms is from Monart, but unfortunately all those records were destroyed. 

Offline Cathy_Aus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • clendinnen girls early 1900s
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 May 18 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark:)
Thanks for all That    Trying to get my head Around it all  Wow what a find!! Cheers
Still going thru it all
Regards
cathy:)
JHavent had comp access for 2 weeks but back on line now
Ireland...Direct Lines
Down..Clendinnen
Clare..Haren, Ryan
Kerry...Doody
Tipperary...Morrisey
Wexford...Clendinnen, Steele, Ellis
Roscommon...Carley, Fallon

France...D'Acre, Went to Ireland some Changed to DEAKER

England Direct Lines
Norfolk: Clamp, Chesney, Atkins, streek
Essex: Mountford, Cornell, Philpott, Hawkes
Wiltshire: Stone, Annetts,

Watt, Toombs, Greville, Revell , Hindmarsh, Williams, Chivell, Collocott, Carle, Bayliss, Berry, Dewsbury, Dungey, Edwards, Gray, Haughton

Offline Cathy_Aus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 May 18 21:13 BST (UK) »
Gday DRL too:)
Thanks for posting   Trying to Read thru the Article re Swaynes And John Clendinnan   Trying to make sense of it all
Thanks
Cathy:)
Ireland...Direct Lines
Down..Clendinnen
Clare..Haren, Ryan
Kerry...Doody
Tipperary...Morrisey

England Direct Lines

Watt, Toombs, Greville, Revell , Hindmarsh, Williams, Chivell, Collocott, Carle, Bayliss, Berry, Dewsbury, Dungey, Edwards, Gray, Haughton

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 13:18 BST (UK) »
Perhaps this is a bit direct, but is there any reason to think that the details in the first post are more than just an assemblage of events with people with the correct names, but little else to connect them?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 13:37 BST (UK) »
 Lydia Deaker (25th March 1808 - 21st December 1882) who married Dr. William Clendinnen in Co. Wexford in 1826.   William Clendinnen was the son of the Methodist preacher, Rev. John C. Clendinnen, who had been born in Co. Down, where the Clendinnen name proliferates, and who died in Bideford, England, on 6th February 1855.  John was the son of James Clendinnen who had moved from Dunfriesshire, Scotland, to Co. Down in the 1750's.  Rev. John C. Clendinnen had married Mary A. on 4th March 1802, and son William had been born in 1804 or 1805 in Skibbereen or Bandon in Co. Cork.
Rev. John Clendinnen moved to Gorey, Co. Wexford, where Mrs. Clendinnen, wife of Rev. John C. Clendinnen, ran a ladies' academy in the 1830s, buth ultimately they settled in Carlow.

Lydia Clendinnen, née Deaker, died aged 75 at Minvaud House, Hacketstown, in 1882.
A son of Dr. William Clendinnen and Lydia Deajer was John Deaker Clendinnen, who had been born on 24th February 1828, in Newtownbarry, Co. Wexford, and who emigrated to Canada in 1855.

Other children of William Clendinnen and Lydia Deaker were Charlotte Clendinnen who married Abraham Harrison, son of Robert Harrison, in Clonmore, Co. Carlow, on 22nd October 1856, Margaret Alicia Clendinnen who married Samuel Hanna, son of Samuel Hanna, in Carnew on 24th October 1852, John Clendinnen who settled at Yarra Yarra, Australia, and whose daughter, Mary Charlotte, married Charles Stevens Reeves on 28th January 1862.  L
ydia Sophia Clendinnen, daughter of William Clendinnen and Lydia Deaker, married Rev. Francis Bettesworth Mollan, the curate of Fiddown, son of Rev. Robert Mollan of Drumgath, in Dublin on 26th May 1880.
On 26th October 1870 in Clonmore, John Wheeler of Carysfort, Co. Wicklow, married Maryanne, the eldest surviving daughter of Dr. Clendinnen of Clonmore Lodge, Co. Wicklow.
On 29th July 1869 in the Scots Church, Adelaide Road, Dr. J.G. Clendinnen, son of Dr. Clendinnen of Clonmore Lodge, married Lizzie, the daughter of James McEntire of Eary, Co. Tyrone.
Another son of William and Lydia Clendinnen was the doctor William Ellis Clendinnen who had been born in 1839 and who practised, first in Cheswardine, then in Stafford where he was the medical officer for health.  An unpleasant individual, he was accused and acquitted of rape in 1870, but was also known to beat his wife, Sarah, who later left him when she saw sense, as did his children who later emigrated.

http://dubstewartmania1.rssing.com/chan-7985249/all_p4.html
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Cathy_Aus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark:)
Thanks I have that info   Thanks for posting th0
Cheers
Ireland...Direct Lines
Down..Clendinnen
Clare..Haren, Ryan
Kerry...Doody
Tipperary...Morrisey

England Direct Lines

Offline Cathy_Aus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
Rev John Clendinnens First wife Mary A Ellis Died circa 1810  But we have been unable to find her Death
He then Married Mary charlotte Robson in 1813 in ossory...she was nee crane
Would also be interested in trying to find more info about his First wife Mary A Ellis  as shes my direct line
And several clendinnen descendants have Ellis as a middle name Including my Cousin here
So any help re these Ellis's would be appreciated too
thanks
Ireland...Direct Lines
Down..Clendinnen
Clare..Haren, Ryan
Kerry...Doody
Tipperary...Morrisey

England Direct Lines