Author Topic: shoemakers in Newburgh, Fife.  (Read 5245 times)

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
shoemakers in Newburgh, Fife.
« on: Sunday 29 April 18 03:26 BST (UK) »
My ancestor John Blyth was a shoemaker at the time of the birth of his son Thomas in 1775.  Would lovw to find some details.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: shoemakers in Newburgh, Fife.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Sheenamac,
I've had a search for your ancestor, John and his son, born 1775,in  Fife, but no Thomas appears in Newburgh.  I do have two spouses i.e. Margaret Marshall and Ann Miller, in Newburgh and one other married to a John Blyth.  But these marriages do not produce a son Thomas in 1775.
Do you have any information if reference to John Blyth, if so, it will give me a more stable result in pin-pointing your real ancestor...................Ron.

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheenamac,
I had another scan ref: the son, Thomas, of John Blyth.  The date you mentioned was 10 years out;  Thomas was in fact born 1787, on the 15th June in  Newburgh....Agnes Millar was the Spouse of John and Mother of Thomas who was baptised two days later.  John worked as a Shoemaker as you predicted and employed at Shuttlefield.....
I will persevere with the details  I have downloaded on the Birth Certificate and see what transpires.
I hope  any info: I find will be to  your advantage..............................Ron.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
Thomas Blyth, son of John and Agnes Millar of Newburgh, married Margaret Smith on the 6th November 1808 aged 21 years at Dunbog in the Parish of Abernethy.  The graveyard there is much aged and I'm sure will submit a few names of interest.
I will leave the rest of the family for you to investigate...........................Ron.

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 15:32 BST (UK) »
Just to add:  If you look on the thread that ROSINISH added and looking down quarter way you will see the statement:     ''There was also a Thomas born to John Blyth (Shoemaker at Shufflefield) and Agnes Millar in Newburgh baptised 17th June 1787''.  That sentence is giving confirmation that STOB BAN's thread for your ancestor JOHN BLYTH and family were correct.......................Ron.

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 May 18 05:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your efforts on this problem. I guess I have to work out whether Ann and Agnes Miller are the same person.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 May 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheenamac,
The Christian name for John Blyth's spouse is Agnes, not Ann.  I had a look at both entries in the Church Records of 1775 & 1787 and the entry for the marriage of John Blyth was indecipherable due to ink smudging at the bottom of the page where the names appear. Agnes's name  is totally obliterated  and a 'guess' has been made, namely 'Ann'.  The name appearing for the birth of Thomas is definitely Agnes, as the Mother, without a doubt...
Agnes Miller IS the wife of John Blyth............Ron.

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 May 18 00:28 BST (UK) »
Great detective work.  Well done.  Now I've got to do some more work on John as I still think I've followed the wrong one.  It's a never ending story, isn't it. Love Rootschat and how willing people are to give assistance.

Sheena