Author Topic: shoemakers in Newburgh, Fife.  (Read 5234 times)

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: shoemakers in Newburgh, Fife.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 May 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheenamac,
If that is not the John Blyth your after then your Thomas is out of sync too. IS there a son of this name involved.?......................Ron.

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 May 18 10:30 BST (UK) »
No, this is definitely the right John  Blyth, but I'm not sure I've identified his parents etc.  I think at that stage I've followed the wrong path going backwards.

Sheena
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 May 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheena,
By going backwards I presume you mean John's Parents.  If so, going on the premis  that John married between the ages of 14years & 34, giving us between 1741 and 1761 to work on.  Males in the past, normally did first marry between those ages for one reason or another; that's giving us somewhat of a start..........

I'll give you four possible birth dates for John, to compare with that you already have:
4th Oct. 1741........9th Apl. 1757.......24th July 1760........25th Jan 1761........All four dates are for John's, born in NEWBURGH.

If you still 'struggle' get in touch, I'll give you the four sets of Parents also.....................Ron.

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 May 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
I've followed a line from John Blyth and Janet Spence/r.  Based on the information you've given me I'll have another look at it.

Thanks again.
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 May 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheena,
John Blyth & Janet Spence do come within the marriage range I mentioned, i.e. 4th Nov. 1741....but the town of Markinch is well south of Newburgh; unless your ancestors came from there originally.  All four I have are 'townies' of Newburgh.......................Ron.

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 May 18 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
John Blyth & Janet Spence did have a son named John, born in Markinch, 23rd Aug. 1747..........Ron.

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 May 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
Sheena,
I downloaded the birth details regarding the Birth of John Blyth, Markinch, Mother Janet Spence, as above; they read thus:  ''because the Father, namely John, was absent from the Baptism, John, the baby was Baptised: ''John James Knox Spence''.  William & Andrew, John's brothers were in attendance as witnesses, but seemingly, John the Father, had ''shot the craw'' an appropriate Scottish term.

If John's name has remained the same as baptised, then that makes searching much easier.

Ron.

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 May 18 20:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ron.  That's the birth certificate that sent me along the Spence/r path.  This is the only reference I've found to the longer name of John James Knox Spence - for anybody,  I have got two other children for Blyth/Spence - Margaret and William. 
From what you've seen, do you think that John James Knox Spence Blyth is the one who married Ann Millar?  I've followed that path for a number of generations, and I got disheartened when I thought I was on the wrong path.

Sheena

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 May 18 21:06 BST (UK) »
Agnes/Ann are interchageable.

John Blyth & Agnes/Ann Millar/Miller appear to have had at least 5 children all b Newburgh.

John 1777
Janet 1779
Robert 1782
Thomas 1787
William 1789

Is it/it is possible Janet was named after her paternal g/mother?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"