Author Topic: shoemakers in Newburgh, Fife.  (Read 5230 times)

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: shoemakers in Newburgh, Fife.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 27 May 18 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi again Ron
That was my thinking also.  With nothing else to go on, I think I'm comfortable that I've followed the right path.
Thanks heaps for your time and help with this one.  I, of course, would be happy to have any other thoughts you come up with.
I notice McPhee is one of your names.  I have a Catherine McFie/McPhee born c1780 Argyll, parents Alexander McPhee and Janet McLachlan.

Sheena
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 28 May 18 05:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheena,
Yea agree, I think Janet was upset with John not being  at the Baptism, so  to spite him she named the son as she did.  At least the Minister would be pleased with the name ''KNOX''..............No Sheena I'm not a McPhee, not even a Mudie, but  more of a Ewan or Anderson. I did all my ancestry many moons ago, including all the Maternal side......quite a big job.

I'll have a look again at you threads, see what materialises so I may be of help.............Ron.

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 May 18 05:37 BST (UK) »
Sheena,
What info: do you have on where the Blyths, your ancestors, started off, i.e. Town or County; not so much their employment.  In the old days many changed from job to job, especially in Fife; as  Farm Labouring was in demand a lot in Fife. Other places too and a heck'ava  lot of workers relocated, I'm only guessing but maybe, just maybe, your chasing the Shoemaker line?

Anyway Sheena, give me an indication, if you can, where the 'your' Blyths began................Ron..

Offline sheenamac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 28 May 18 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ron

Family knowledge had them coming from Fife to Greenock.  Proven connections are from Strathmiglo (Newburgh) (David 1821), then going backwards Thomas from Newburgh m Margaret Smith from Dunbog in Dunbog, John married Agnes Millar in Newburgh, but John James Knox Spence was born in Markinch which might mean he's not the right John, especially as John and Agnes's marriage certificate says they're "both of this parish" (Newburgh).

I've had a further look.  There are two Johns born in Newburgh between 1750 and 1760.  Parents John and Elizabeth, and David and Agnes.  David is a family name, even to this present day.

John and Ann only had one daughter named Ann so that doesn't help, though you've pointed out before that John and Agnes having a daughter named Janet might indicate that Janet Spence/r is the right mother. 

I really appreciate your thoughts on this one.  Thanks again.  Sheena
McLaren, McKirdy, Gorman, Blyth, Paterson, Galloway, Morgan, Tait, McPherson, Anderson, Wylie, Mcgillvray, McAlees, Montague/McTague, Singleton, Campbell, McNaught, Robertson, Ferguson, Docherty, McGlinchy, McGarry, O'Hara, McMillan, Little, Blair, Smith, Batley, Rodger, McIntyre, Black, Miller, Small, Spurling, ?Golden, Brown, Flannaghan, Lawn, MCallum, McLean, Paton, Dickie, McAllister, Auld, Glen, Biggart, Orr, Thomson, Neil, Walker, Weir, Mcvichie, Henderson, Fernie, Spence, Ker

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 May 18 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheena,
Got the info: okay, will spend some time going over it, hopefully something will transpire to please us all, ......will be in touch when I  get somewhere....................Ron.

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 28 May 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
Sheena,
Double-checked the dates, look okay.  I presume you have all the dates of  Births and Marriages of all those you gave me.  The follow-up I found to John Blyth married to Agnes, born 4th Oct. 1741, was his Parents,  John Blyth and Margaret Weem, several spellings of this name. They tied the knot on the 1st Sept. 1732.  Newburgh was the Parish the family resided.

I have further info: but I gotta  go oot.!!  How far do you want to go back.......Roman... Viking.....or maybe infinity............................When did the Blyth's come to Greenock.?

P.s. I'll go back as far I can trace.............................Ron.

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 28 May 18 17:48 BST (UK) »
Sheena,
Here are the children's names from John Blyth & Margaret Weem:  Marriage; 1st Sept. 1732.   The names of the two sons reflect the ancestors and one of the females as you so, expected.

1.  Jean born 25th July 1736.............2.  David born 4th Feb. 1739............3,  John born 4th Oct 1741..............4.  Margaret 27th May 1744.......All were born in the Village of Newburgh, indicating this was the ''home'' town of this particular Blyth family.

There was an earlier Birth for the 1st John Blyth born of the above parents in 20 July 1735, but sadly died & the one born in 1741, given his name.

Ron.

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 28 May 18 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Sheena,  I believe that John Blyth married to Margaret Weem, was born in Newburgh and his Parents were David Blyth & Margaret Freebairn, (another David) He was born 31st Aug. 1712. He died 25th July 1773 in Kinnoull.  When he wed Margaret he was aged 20 years and died aged 81.

Kinnoull village is in Perth and from Newburgh a Ferry-Boat of the time would take five minutes to row across by way of 'The Firth of Tay.  Perthshire being a lovely place, as I should know; I was born there.

P.s.  John's paretnts,  David and Margaret Freebairn, as above, were Married 19th Nov. 1708 and of course John was born on 31 Aug. 1712. Newburgh.

Following this family in chronological order will take you back to David Blyth born 1821 in Newburgh from when we began...........................Ron.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 10:45 BST (UK) »
Dunbog in the Parish of Abernethy. 

Dunbog is in Abernethy Parish?