Author Topic: William Richard Ashton Bishop Liverpool to Boston.  (Read 3796 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: William Richard Ashton Bishop Liverpool to Boston.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 April 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
There is a service record for him as Richard Ashton Bishop , address Sunnyside , Rhostyllen, Nr Wrexham , dated April 1915. It mentions previous service of 10 years in the Wessex Division , Royal Engineers. The page detailing next of kin is torn . I haven't read all of the pages yet , but several pages refer to his requesting repatriation to the USA after the war. He states that he wishes to go back to his former landlady in Chicago and mentions membership of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners , having paid his membership dues up to 1914.
There is also a service record for the earlier 10 years where he is  named as Richard Ashton Bishop , born Long Ashton , Somerset. This seems to confirm it's the right man.

Edit : As far as I can see the pre-war service was for 3 years , not 10.

I  only found the first record, so thanks for this second one. Does it seem to you that he had a wife , he was single when he first left Liverpool in 1911.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 April 18 17:15 BST (UK) »
I  only found the first record, so thanks for this second one

If you are looking at the 1908-1911 army record on Ancestry, go back a couple of pages in that image set and you should find yourself looking at the 1919/1920 correspondence regarding repatriation. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 April 18 17:21 BST (UK) »
There is a service record for him as Richard Ashton Bishop , address Sunnyside , Rhostyllen, Nr Wrexham , dated April 1915. It mentions previous service of 10 years in the Wessex Division , Royal Engineers. The page detailing next of kin is torn . I haven't read all of the pages yet , but several pages refer to his requesting repatriation to the USA after the war. He states that he wishes to go back to his former landlady in Chicago and mentions membership of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners , having paid his membership dues up to 1914.
There is also a service record for the earlier 10 years where he is  named as Richard Ashton Bishop , born Long Ashton , Somerset. This seems to confirm it's the right man.

Edit : As far as I can see the pre-war service was for 3 years , not 10.

I  only found the first record, so thanks for this second one. Does it seem to you that he had a wife , he was single when he first left Liverpool in 1911.

On the torn page which I mentioned I thought I could see the word wife. There are British Trade Union membership records for him in 1921 and 1922. He is described there as married - I've just tried to have another look and the page refuses to load.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 April 18 17:27 BST (UK) »
William R A Bishop and Elaine Lister , 3 1916 Hayfield, Derbyshire 7b 1595

Looks possible ?
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 April 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
This is all getting a bit confusing, there is so much I didn`t know about.
He  does service as a volunteer then  he goes to US in 1911,   then comes back and returns in 1913.
Possibly marries in 1916 to Elaine Lister,
 De-mobbed 1919, Wants to back to USA in 1919;  did Elaine go with him ?
He dies in  Wales  in 1933 and is buried  in  Wrexham
His mother and grandmother  are in the same grave , mother  died Liverpool 1934.
Where is Elaine ?
 ???

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 April 18 19:39 BST (UK) »
De-mobbed 1919, Wants to back to USA in 1919;  did Elaine go with him ?

We don't know if he went back to the US after the war. He stalled on offers from the War Office to repatriate him in 1919 and 1920 and in the end they cancelled his claim to repatriation. 

Thanks, No, I cant find him returning, but he did.

There's a letter in his file which has been damaged and a large fragment is missing. That section continues with ".....Liverpool in the New Year's morning of 1915."  I would guess that's the date of his arrival back in the UK before rejoining the army in April that year.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 April 18 19:50 BST (UK) »
UK Return  Passenger List - Richd Bishop - 1883 - New York to Liverpool - Baltic - 1 Jan 1915 - occupation carpenter. Going to Sunnyside Wrexham. Intended future residence :- England.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada