Author Topic: Old hard drives  (Read 4946 times)

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Old hard drives
« on: Sunday 29 April 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
Whenever I buy a new replacement computer (from my local computer shop), they always give me the old hard drive, though I'm never sure what I am supposed to do with it,

Is there some connector that I can buy to read stuff off the old drive, just in case ...?
Surname interests:

Huntingdon: Bull / Shelford
Rotherham: Andrews / Steel
Easingwold: Snowball / Potter

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old hard drives
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 April 18 16:27 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if there are options simply using the appropriate leads and connectors, but if you search for "hard drive enclosure" (possibly add 'external') you'll see the kind of thing that's commonly used. Obviously check the size before you buy - but if you take the drive back to your local computer shop, they'll probably be able to sort you out.

As well as retrieving any data off the old drive, some people use their old ones for external backup storage.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
I think -not very sure of this - it might be for your security. I knew someone who used to extract the hard drive himself, and smash it up before disposing of it, in case there was any financially sensitive information on it, apparently. Could be wrong, of course...
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 April 18 16:45 BST (UK) »
It will be for your security. The only surefire way to stop criminals stealing data from secondhand computers is to destroy the hard drive. I have removed the hard drives and destroyed them from old computers before getting rid of them.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 April 18 17:33 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

I agree with TY and Stan, for security purposes.

I would suggest buying a memory card, 64 gb to make sure you have enough space. Download everything you need from old computor. Everything else you can delete and do a factory reset if you have the option.

Once done remove the hard drive and smash it, a large hammer and path usually does it. Then just take the whole computor to your local tip for recycling.

John915

Added, memory cards are a much better way to store info of your computor these days rather than an external hard drive. Store them in a case and pop them in the slot when needed.
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 April 18 18:29 BST (UK) »
You cannot be too careful when disposing of old hard drives.

I always smash my old hard drives with a lump hammer, making sure they are in as many pieces as possibly, then they go to the tip. I also make sure all CDs and DVDs are completely destroyed, as I did in the days of the old floppy discs.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Online AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 April 18 23:10 BST (UK) »
Added, memory cards are a much better way to store info of your computer these days rather than an external hard drive.

Can you clarify what you mean by this? Memory cards and flash drives are just as susceptible to fires, floods, falling down a drain/back of the sofa and theft as external hard drives. I've yet to see an external hard drive being eaten by a dog.

Also compare the cost of a 1TB external hard drive with a 1TB SD card.

For transferring info from one machine to another, yes SD cards or flash drives are fine, but I wouldn't rely solely on one method for long-term backup.

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 April 18 14:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks ARTHURK.  I shall follow your advice.
Surname interests:

Huntingdon: Bull / Shelford
Rotherham: Andrews / Steel
Easingwold: Snowball / Potter

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 April 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

Added, memory cards are a much better way to store info of your computer these days rather than an external hard drive.

Can you clarify what you mean by this? Memory cards and flash drives are just as susceptible to fires, floods, falling down a drain/back of the sofa and theft as external hard drives. I've yet to see an external hard drive being eaten by a dog.

Also compare the cost of a 1TB external hard drive with a 1TB SD card.

For transferring info from one machine to another, yes SD cards or flash drives are fine, but I wouldn't rely solely on one method for long-term backup.

Memory cards are easily stored in a case which will hold many cards, my grandsons holds 60. Personally I don't sit on the kerb, the kitchin worktop or the sofa when using the computer. So unlikely to lose a card down any of them, no dog either.

As to prices, a good external hard drive could cost between £30 and in excess of £100. Memory cards cost between £5 and £50, couldn't find a 1tb, largest was 128gb. But all in all cards would be cheaper, are just as good for storage if looked after and are much easier to transport if you travel for research purposes.

As far as using old internal hard drives as external storage goes, I wouldn't. Once out of the computer all the ones iv'e dealt with are bare metal cases. I doubt they are double insulated so an electrical risk is present. You could wrap it in tape but then risk overheating. Lastly, most parts in computers are connected with single line connections which the part is pushed onto. External leads have the requisite number of terminals in a block formation not a single line ie usb connecters or similar. Just waiting for an answer from SiL as this is his line of work. Building, installing and aftercare of computer systems for the scientific industry.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)