Author Topic: Whatever happened to Ruth Dora Guy?  (Read 2919 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Whatever happened to Ruth Dora Guy?
« on: Sunday 29 April 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
I did my brother-in-laws family tree some time ago but could never find out what happened to his grandfathers younger sister.

Ruth Dora/h Guy was born on the 11th February 1882 in Hunstanton, Norfolk (daughter of Thomas Dungey Guy and his second wife Charlotte Cutton Mahon married 1878), baptised as Ruth Dora Elizabeth Guy on 23/4/1882 Hunstanton.   Her father died in 1888 in his home county of Somerset and in 1891 she is with her mother Charlotte and older brother Thomas in Islington, London.   Her mother Charlotte died 20/10/1894 in Kings Lynn.

So, by 1901 Thomas and Ruth had lost both of their parents and we find them living in New Hunstanton, Norfolk with their married half-sister Annie Florence who had married Charles Twiss in 1890.   Brother Thomas remained in Norfolk but Ruth effectively 'vanishes' after 1901.

I like to think I am pretty experienced at checking all the various records that we now have online (and often help out with other Rootschatter's queries) but concede defeat as to what became of Ruth.

Nothing in England, Wales, Scotland or Ireland for a marriage, death, no sighting in 1911 census or 1939 Register - no record of departing these shores for a life abroad and no trace in records I have access to for Australia/Canada/USA. 

So whatever became of Ruth Dora Guy b.11/2/1882 Hunstanton, Norfolk after 1901 (working as a drapers assistant) when she effectively vanishes into the ether?   Can others cleverer than I find what became of her?

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to Ruth Dora Guy?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 April 18 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette

Over the years, you have “pulled the rabbit out of the hat” so many times when others have failed so let’s hope somebody can do the same for you.  Best of luck
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 18 18:46 BST (UK) »
Have you already discounted the Miss R Guy aged 24 left Southampton 9.11.1907 for Cape aboard the Kenilworth Castle
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 April 18 19:36 BST (UK) »
I did consider her at one time I must admit but could find nothing further for her on the limited South African records that are available online.   Entering 'Ruth Guy' brings up nothing at all, likewise R Guy and entering 'Guy' alone brings up hundreds of entries normally a Christian name/or second Christian name of various individuals.

Funnily enough, I was speaking about Ruth to my brother-in-law yesterday - until I researched his family he and his siblings had no idea Ruth existed.   However, he did say that his father often said he wanted to take the family to South Africa - never said why and no-one ever asked why.

If this was indeed her (birth a year out but of no real consequence and was 'R' for Ruth) I'm at a loss at trying to find out about her in South African records.

Annette   
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 April 18 20:00 BST (UK) »
This one?

Ruth Dora Elizabeth Guy baptised
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JSC7-KLV

1904 - Miss Ruth DE Gay, Hunstanton Norfolk. Travelled to Ellis Island, New York, on 8 October.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JN9N-1MJ

Travelled with a friend, Mrs Godden (so another name to zone in on). Left from Liverpool on the Etruria.

Link takes you to the original document - and you can see it says Guy (if that's what you know/are looking for).  She's a milliner.

More info on the original document too, including her intended address in Brooklyn.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 April 18 20:46 BST (UK) »

Travelled with a friend, Mrs Godden (so another name to zone in on). Left from Liverpool on the Etruria.

I don't think she's travelling with Mrs Godden , but going to Mrs Godden at 66 Livingston Brooklyn.  There's a Henry Godden at this address in the 1904 Brooklyn  City Directory.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 April 18 21:00 BST (UK) »
What a great find!  I agree that she is heading to Mrs Godden - “cousin” is marked in the right hand column, so I wonder whether she is that rather than just a friend.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 April 18 02:03 BST (UK) »
StanleysChesterton - I could kiss you!   Thank you so much, this is definitely her.

Just spent half an hour trying to find her in UK outgoing passenger lists as I hadn't spotted her before.   Found her on FindMyPast as Miss R Guy, spinster.   No age or other details.   Ship departed 1st October 1904.  Went back to Ancestry and still can't find her on their outgoing lists.   Tried a few names of others on the same page as her and they are not there either so looks like the UK outgoing passenger lists for the Etruria which sailed 1st October 1904 are missing on Ancestry!  Since I usually use the latter site when searching outgoing passenger lists no wonder I hadn't spotted her on there.

However, unfortunately I can find no further trace of her in the US.   The 'friend' she was going to was Ida Rosalie Godden, nee Clarke (wife of Henry married 1897 London) and she was born 1865 in Hunstanton, Norfolk which explains how the 2 of them had become friends.   Cannot find Henry and Ida on 1910 or 1920 census and in 1930 Ida is now widowed and living with her married daughter in New Jersey.   She appears to have died the following year.

So, apart from arriving in New York in 1904 and going to her friend Ida Godden, I can find absolutely nothing further regarding Ruth.   From a 'high' at discovering she'd gone to the US in 1904 I'm now feeling a bit 'low' in that I don't know what became of her once she got there.

Thanks to all, especially StanleysChesterton, for your help - at least we now know where she went even if we don't know what happened next.

Annette

London -  Monk

Online Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 April 18 09:46 BST (UK) »
It doesn't help with Ruth , but Henry , Ida and daughter Katherine travelled to England in 1906 :
They arrived in Liverpool on 5th May on the Campania. Ida returned to America in 1921 , arriving in New York on 30th January , giving her last place of residence as Hunstanton and going to Brooklyn.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk