Author Topic: Lance Corporal Leonard Britton  (Read 1001 times)

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lance Corporal Leonard Britton
« on: Sunday 29 April 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
Is there anywhere I can find info about Leonard Britton's army service who died Sept 1918 in Belgium. His service was 17522. He was in the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Thank you in advance.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lance Corporal Leonard Britton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 April 18 18:23 BST (UK) »
Served initially 2nd battalion,10th and 12th on the Medal Rolls.

War diaries maybe available.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 18 18:31 BST (UK) »
Is there anywhere I can find info about Leonard Britton's army service who died Sept 1918 in Belgium. His service was 17522. He was in the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Thank you in advance.

Just a small amendment  :)

Leonard died 20 Sep 1917

JJ

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 April 18 18:47 BST (UK) »
His Commonwealth War Grave Commission entry has "died 20/09/1917".  The Register of Soldiers Effects has 20.09.1917 "[death] officially accepted".  He is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial.  These are all indications that he was among the missing in an action and he was never found (or if found, the burial site lost subsequently).

On 20 Sep 1917, the 10th Battalion NF to which he belonged  carried out an attack to the south of Ypres.  Among the casualties were 15 missing, it may fairly be assumed he was among those men.

More in a mo.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 April 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
The action took place due east of Ypres over the ground shown on the side by side map/image:
 http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=50.8386&lon=2.9623&layers=101464645&right=BingHyb.  (You can zoom in and out to help locate the area on present day maps - search Geluveld (present spelling) on Google Earth.

specifically from the "Jam" trench complex in square 19 towards the Menin Road which cuts obliquely across the map to the east.  The action is described in great detail in the 68 Infantry Brigade diary.  The ground over which they fought was wet and swampy, the diary records that at one time it took 6 men to drag their company commander out of the mud to save him from being engulfed.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 April 18 11:16 BST (UK) »
As to Leonard Britton's service - the medal records that Ady cites are the only records that survive.  It is possible to suggest a possible sequence for his service from the clues therein.

His service number when compared with others suggest an enlistment in the early months of 1915, a volunteer not a conscript (started in 1916).  His first battalion overseas was the 2nd Battalion,  His date of entry to France was 22 July 1915 when the battalion were already there.  The battalion war diary does record the arrival of a draft of 100 men joining from the training battalion on 24th July (about right time for travel from the port to the battalion).  The battalion went to Salonika via Egypt in October 1915 and remained there so I'd propose that he transferred before they left to the next unit, 12th Battalion who had arrived in France in September 1915.  Later still to the 10th Battalion with whom he was serving when he died.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk