Author Topic: What Became of Rachel Gibbs?  (Read 2269 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
What Became of Rachel Gibbs?
« on: Sunday 29 April 18 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am helping a friend with their family history & have lost one of their ancestors, who seems to just disappear into thin air!

Rachel Gibbs was born in 1844 (baptised 20th May 1844) in Millbrook, Bedfordshire to William & Pheobe (Nee' Stonbridge) Gibbs.

In 1851 Rachel is with her parents in Millbrook (HO107/1754/424/15) & is also with her parents in Millbrook in 1861 (RG9/1001/49/13). In 1866 she baptises (5th Aug 1866) an illegitimate daughter Rosa Gibbs (1866-1936) in Millbrook.

In 1871 (RG10/3356/20/1) she is a Kitchen Maid at Knipton Rectory, Knipton near Grantham, Leicestershire. Daughter Rosa is with her grandparents William & Pheobe in Millbrook.

After this, there is no further sighting of Rachel that I can find! I can find no marriage, death or census records or anything of her after this point (1871).

So, what became of Rachel?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What Became of Rachel Gibbs?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 May 18 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In an effort to possibly find some clues as regards Rachel &/or her whereabouts I have tried to track her siblings with about 50% success as follows:

Rachel was one of 11 children of William (1818-1899) & Pheobe Gibbs (Nee' Stonbridge) (1819-1881). William & Pheobe married in 1840.

The 11 children are as follows, (all born in Millbrook, Bedfordshire except William who was born in Ampthill, Bedfordshire):

John William Gibbs (1841-?) Disappears after 1851 census in Millbrook, Beds.
William Gibbs (1842-1887) Married Mary Ann Neal in 1866. Lived in Millbrook, Beds & Campsea Ashe, Suffolk.
Rachel Gibbs (1844-?) Disappears after 1871 in Knipton, Leicestershire.
Thomas (Litchfield) Gibbs (1845-?) Disappears after 1861 census in Millbrook, Beds.
Josiah Gibbs (1848-?) Disappears after 1861 census in Millbrook, Beds.
Mary Ann Gibbs (1850-1939) Married John Gardener in 1873. Lived in Millbrook & Luton in Beds & London.
Eli Gibbs (1852-1931) Married Alice Roberts in 1880. Lived in Millbrook & Luton in Beds.
George Henry Gibbs (1854/55-?) Doesn't appear on any censuses, neither does he appear in marriage or death indexes.
Henry Gibbs (1857-1941) Married Fanny Rook in 1878. Lived in Millbrook & Ampthill Beds.
Samuel Gibbs (1861-?) Disappears after 1871 census in Millbrook, Beds. Possible sighting in London in 1881 with birthplace as Millbrook, Suffolk. Nothing after this.
Frederick Gibbs (1864-1947) Married Elizabeth Williams in 1897. Lived in Millbrook & Ampthill Beds.

Having looked at some Ancestry trees to see if if I could find any leads, they had the following info for the missing siblings:

John William Gibbs. Apparently died in 1852 in Bedford. Using GRO index, this chap was 89! ::)
Rachel Gibbs. Apparently died in the Greenwich reg dist in 1939 aged 95. The only Rachel that I found dying in that year was a 57 year old!
Thomas Gibbs. Apparently died in 1887 in Campsea Ashe in Suffolk. I can find neither any evidence to suggest that he ever went there, nor a death index record!
Josiah Gibbs. Apparently died in 1852 in Bedford. He is alive and well at home with parents in 1861! ::)
Samuel Gibbs. Apparently died in Fulham in 1899. Think this 1899 death is that of a Samuel Gibbs born in Fulham in 1862.
George Henry Gibbs. He was completely absent from the trees!

Those siblings that have disappeared I cannot find any marriages or deaths for, I am struggling to find them on any records come to that!

Lastly Thomas's apparent middle name of 'Litchfield', although it is his maternal grandmothers maiden surname, I cannot see any evidence of it ever being his middle name! On the birth index record & censuses he is just plain Thomas.

Can anyone help with locating the other five siblings, namely John William, Thomas, Josiah, Samuel & George Henry?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline jen56johns

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 May 18 11:10 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the death of Rachel Gibbs in Newbury, Berkshire in 1876? It has her birth as 1845.

It would help to know which deaths or marriages you have checked and discarded and why.
Johns - Cornwall
McNerney - Manchester
Speakman - Manchester
Warman - Faringdon
Utting - Norfolk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 May 18 17:39 BST (UK) »
HiJen56johns,

Have you seen the death of Rachel Gibbs in Newbury, Berkshire in 1876? It has her birth as 1845.

It would help to know which deaths or marriages you have checked and discarded and why.

Many thanks for that, unfortunately that Rachel is the wife of a Charles Gibbs, born in 1841/42 in Greenham, Berkshire on the 1871 census.

As regards which deaths or marriages that I have checked & discarded, I have checked & discarded more or less every one I'm afraid!

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 May 18 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Update

Have now found that brothers John William (as John), Thomas & Josiah (Joseph from 1880) ended up in the USA. They were living in Lyons Township, Wayne County, New York State, USA.

Just Rachel, George Henry & Samuel to locate now! ;D

Kind regards

David

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Update

Have now found that brothers John William (as John), Thomas & Josiah (Joseph from 1880) ended up in the USA. They were living in Lyons Township, Wayne County, New York State, USA.

Just Rachel, George Henry & Samuel to locate now! ;D

Kind regards

David

The Newark Courier (Newark, N.Y.)
 May 16, 1935, Page 11

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi RJ137,

Many thanks for that, that is brilliant!

The sister & two brothers mentioned as still living in England were Mary Ann, Henry & Frederick. Josiah's wife was Alice Gibbs, I haven't been able to locate a marriage for them yet tho!

Update 2

Have now located Samuel in Battersea with his wife in 1891. He married Edith Emma Burden (1866-1924) in 1889.

Samuel Gibbs. Apparently died in Fulham in 1899. Think this 1899 death is that of a Samuel Gibbs

Think that the above death may be him after all!  ::) I cannot see another that fits! Wife Edith is shown as a widow in 1901. Edith was left with six young children & pregnant with a seventh child when Samuel died! :o Must have been a difficult time for her. Edith went on to remarry to William Henry Clarke in 1905.

Phew! And then there were two left to be found! ;D They being Rachel & George Henry of course!

Kind regards

David

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 09:17 BST (UK) »
George Gibbs, death in the first quarter of 1856, Ampthill district, age 1. No other Georges in the area. They probably just didn't give his middle name to the registrar.

Re: Rachel. Have you checked out the 1873 marriage of a Rachel Gibbs to William Gardner in Stalmine, Lancashire? There's no age given, it just says "full age", though her father is given as William Gibbs, a labourer.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 May 18 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Silverhawk,

George Gibbs, death in the first quarter of 1856, Ampthill district, age 1. No other Georges in the area. They probably just didn't give his middle name to the registrar.

Re: Rachel. Have you checked out the 1873 marriage of a Rachel Gibbs to William Gardner in Stalmine, Lancashire? There's no age given, it just says "full age", though her father is given as William Gibbs, a labourer.

Many thanks for those, very much appreciated.

How did I miss that death for George! ::) Thanks for that, has to be him.

As regards Rachel, I had seen that marriage but wasn't entirely sure about it, however, I shall take another look at it & see if perhaps I can see them on any censuses after the marriage.

My thanks again.

Kind regards

David