Author Topic: wilson r benson  (Read 1429 times)

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
wilson r benson
« on: Sunday 29 April 18 23:15 BST (UK) »
I am researching a Benson Family, James Benson married Annie Isabella Nathaniel 1888, he died 1925 she died 1938, she remarried to a William Purvis 1929, Uphall. James and Annie had children, Margaret 1889, Annie 1891, Jessie 1892, Jemima 1893, Thomas 1896, Wilson 1897 which I can't find a date of birth, marriage or death for, he was on the 1901 and 1911 census, then disappears, Thomasina 1899 and Robert 1902. Some were born in Fauldhouse, Cambuslang and Bathgate.

I hope someone can help me with Wilson R Benson.

Ann Benson

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: wilson r benson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 April 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
Like you I have been unable to find a birth, marriage or death for Wilson.

I have only looked at the 1901 census but from this I note that his place of birth is given as Edinburgh
whilst the older children were born in Cambuslang and the later ones in Fauldhouse. Is his place of birth still showing as Edinburgh in the 1911 census ? It is possible that the family were in Edinburgh for a couple of years but this would not explain the absence of a birth record.

Could there be a possibility that he was not their natural son and his birth mother was someone else, perhaps a family member who could not keep him for whatever reason and the Benson's looked after him giving him a different name from the one he was given at birth? A very long shot I know but it did happen.

One last question Ann does the surname of Wilson feature anywhere in the family?

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 April 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
Not seeing anything either not even immigration record ..do you know what the middle name would be ...I did see an immigration record for the brother Robert Benson and he was going to a cousin Mrs Minnie Wilson Grant Street Newell USA ...

Rosie

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 April 18 19:39 BST (UK) »
James Benson who married Annie Nathaniel, he had a brother John born 1853, Linlithgow, he married Christina Wilson, they had a son Robert born 1876, Linlithgow, he married Elizabeth Lees. John and Christina had other children.

Ann

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 April 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You may already know this but there are deaths of a Thomas Benson aged 2 and a Thomasina Benson aged 0 at Fauldhouse in 1899. There is also the death of a 20 year old Jessie P Nathan Benson at Alva, Clackmannanshire in 1920.

There are also 2 marriages in Alva :
1918 Annie Isabella Benson to James Moore Paterson
1921 Jemima Benson to Robert Grant
If you have already found these marriages, have you looked at who the witnesses were ? Always a chance Wilson was witness at a sister's marriage , and if so that would establish him as still being alive at that date.
Of course Wilson was just the right age to enlist for the First World War :-\ although I can't see him as a casualty on the CWGC website.

Looby  :)