Author Topic: East Cross Causeway, Edinburgh - registered district 1881 - 1891?  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Macushla

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
East Cross Causeway, Edinburgh - registered district 1881 - 1891?
« on: Monday 30 April 18 06:35 BST (UK) »
Hello, everyone.

I am trying to find more information on a James KERR, who was present at the registration of his illegitimate child, Marion Her(r?)iot KERR, who was born to Alexandrina HER(R)IOT on 8 September, 1884. Registration took place in the district of South Leith, in the county of Edinburgh.

I'm hoping to find James in the 1881 and 1891 censuses. His address at the time of his daughter's birth is 33, East Cross Causeway, Edinburgh. Of course, when I search James KERR in these records, quite a number come up and I'm just trying to narrow down the possibilities before shelling out for images.

Would someone please tell me which district I should be focussing on, considering his address?

With many thanks in advance.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: East Cross Causeway, Edinburgh - registered district 1881 - 1891?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 April 18 07:35 BST (UK) »
It is in Newington district. I think this would come under St Cuthbert, Newington in the 1881/91 census.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 April 18 09:15 BST (UK) »
In the 1885 Valuation Roll there is 33 Crosscauseway , St. Cuthbert's , no sign of anyone Kerr though.

ev

Added -
I note there is also a Marion Herriot Kerr birth , Newington Midlothian in 1888  :-\
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Macushla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 April 18 09:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Isobel and Ev.

That gives me a few to think about ... interestingly, all of them that come up under Newington are either very young or over 50 ... and I think that Alexandrina was very young.

I'm trying to figure out if this James KERR is the same who married Margaret HERRIOT in 1884. Her mother's name was Marion ...

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 April 18 09:32 BST (UK) »
........and deaths  :(
Marion Heriot Kerr , age 0 , 1885 Newington Midlothian.
Marion Herriot Kerr , age 1 , 1889 Leith South Midlothian.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Macushla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 April 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, ev, I saw those deaths, too.

The little one who died in 1889 was one of twins born to James and Margaret in 1888; her brother died even before she did.

Am I crazy in following this up? I'm thinking it's just too much of a coincidence to have two babies with the same name, two mothers with the same surname, and two fathers with the same name, within about 5 years and within quite close quarters.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 April 18 12:34 BST (UK) »
Do you know what James Kerr's occupation was?

There is a baptism for a James Kerr 7 Feb 1886 Buccleugh Church Edinburgh - parents James Kerr and Maggie Herriot (From Familysearch Scotland Church records and Kirk Session Records).

1891 census 106 Bonnington Road

James Kerr 33 born South Leith
Margaret Kerr 31 born Gorebridge
James Kerr 5 born Edinburgh
Agnes Kerr 6 mo b S Leith

Baptism for Margaret Herriot? 27 Mar 1860 Temple Midlothian Mother Marion (At that time I believe that Gorebridge was in Temple parish).

1901 This family are living at 33 Bridge Street North Leith with four more children John , Archibald, Beatrice and Margaret.

1881 census the above James Kerr is at 30 Duke Street, Leith South showing as brother in law of Alexander Barbour and, therefore, brother of Jessie Barbour.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 April 18 19:12 BST (UK) »
Just to add to my previous post the baptism quoted for James Kerr in 1886 does not specify which Buccleugh Church  but worth noting that the postal address for the Buccleugh Free Church is 10 West Crosscauseway. Google it and see how near it is to East Crosscauseway.

William

Added The baptism will have taken place in Buccleugh Parish Church which is in Chapel Street/ Buccleugh Street which West Crosscauseway joins onto.
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Macushla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 03:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, William.

'My' James KERR, husband of Margaret HERRIOT, was a cooper ... and so was the James KERR who fathered the Marion Heriot KERR born to Alexandrina HERIOT.

The baptism of James that you have found is the first son born to the couple after the twins, and I think that is 'my' Marion HERRIOTT.

You're right, the locations are very close. Hmm ... perhaps I should try to get Alexandrina's birth certificate and check her parents? I think that she died as Alexandrina MENZIES in 1937.