Author Topic: East Cross Causeway, Edinburgh - registered district 1881 - 1891?  (Read 2623 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: East Cross Causeway, Edinburgh - registered district 1881 - 1891?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 09:23 BST (UK) »
There is a birth on Familysearch of Alexandrina Heriot in South Leith in 1864, daughter if Thomas Heriot and Elizabeth nee Cunningham. In 1871 the family are in South Leith ( Ancestry have her as Alexanderine age 6). In 1881 the family are 13a Burn St Leith. They have an Alexander age 7 listed with them, but described as a daughter. I cross- checked on Scotlandspeople and they have this person listed as Alexandrina but still aged 7. There are no matching births on SP for either an Alexander or an Alexandrina in 1874 so I am fairly sure the age has been mistranscribed and this is the same person that appears with the family age 6 in 1871. Both Thomas and Elizabeth are shown as born South Leith.
Isobel
Added - Findmypast have the family listed as Hariot in 1881 but they do have this individual  recorded as being Alexandrina age 17. Looks like it may be a poor quality original.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
The occupation showing for James Kerr in the censuses I quoted is cooper. Coincidence?

I take it you have the marriage cert. for James Kerr and Margaret Herriot. What is his address on that document? It might be worth locating the birth cert of their son James  to check the address there. Given the date of his baptism he might have been born in either 1885 or 1886 - there,unfortunately,  appear to be a number to choose from. Newington 1885 the most likely?

Findagrave has a photograph of the tombstone of Thomas Heriot (31 March 1839 -24 Feb 1907) and Elizabeth Cunningham (died 23 Jan 1922) in South Leith Churchyard.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Macushla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you again, William.

I have an image for James KERR and Margaret HERRIOT's marriage, 14 Mar 1884, at The Manse, Leith, after banns in the Church of Scotland. James was 26, Margaret 22, and both have place of usual residence as 26 Glover Street, Leith.

I will have a look at James (junior's) birth, thanks for that suggestion. I'm trying to pace myself and my research - and I already see I am gathering information, getting excited and looking for the next piece without first slowing down and entering the information into my tree. But I think I have to buy some Scotland's People credits and try to solve this mystery.

I'm starting to get tangled up in all the Jameses and Margarets and Marions ... !

Offline Macushla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 May 18 07:10 BST (UK) »
A quick update for those who have helped me with this, thanks Millmoor, isobelw (apologies for missing you in my previous thanks) and ev.

I couldn't resist; I had to buy more credits on Scotland's People! And it looks like there are two James KERRs and that the naming of their children was coincidental.

The death registration for Marion Heriot KERR b. 1884 d. 1885 seems to indicate that both James and Alexandrina were living at 33 East Crosscauseway in 1885, as no other address is on the registration, and that is also where little Marion died.

I have confirmed that Alexandrina went on to marry Peter MENZIES in 1887.

While Alexandrina and her James were living at 33 East Crosscauseway in 1885, 'my' James KERR and Margaret HERRIOT were living at 26 Glover Street, Leith; at least, that is the address of both parties on their marriage registration of 1884.

Alexandrina's parents were Thomas and Elizabeth HERIOT (formerly CUNNINGHAM); Margaret HERRIOT's parents were George and Marion HERRIOT (formerly LAWSON). Many thanks for helping me clear this in my head, isobelw.

The thing is, I guess without birth dates of the parents, I can't be exactly sure, but I was willing to accept that there are two Jameses, until I compared these signatures (attached).

What do you think?

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 May 18 09:04 BST (UK) »
The signatures look like they could be by the same person but I am no expert on this!

On a different tack I am not convinced that the parents of Margaret Herriot were George Lawson and Marion Herriot. At any rate I cannot see any evidence of a Herriot/Lawson marriage. As is often the case I suspect that a father was invented to hide illegitimacy.

1861 census at Gorebridge

Archibald Herriot 57
Marrian Herriot 21
James Herriot 15
Agnes Herriot 12
Margaret Herriot 10
Margaret Ramage 1 Granddaughter b Temple

I suspect that Margaret Ramage is in fact Margaret Herriot with Ramage being the reputed father's surname.

1871 at Stobhill
Archibald Heriiot 61
Marion Heriot 31 dau
James Heriot 24 son
Margaret Heriot 11 grandchild
Archibald Heriot 6 grandchild
Agnes Heriot 1 grandchild

On Ancestry the surname has been transcribed as Herish.

Baptisms

Archibald Herriot 9 Oct 1864 Temple, Midlothian Mother Marion Herriot
Agnes Lawson Herriot 1 Feb 1870 Stobhill, Midlothian Mother Marion Herriot (Perhaps this is where the Lawson comes from).

I think that Marion Herriot married Alexander Jack 1879 in Stobhill, Midlothian.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Macushla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the delay in responding, William, you've dug me another rabbithole!

I'll need to look into this and I'm also thinking of putting the signatures on the handwriting section to see if there are some experts there.

It's all very confusing - and very interesting!

Many thanks again, William.

Sue

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
I had a look at the deaths of Marion Herriot (Jack) and Margaret Herriot (Kerr) and think I can see where the surname Lawson comes from.

Marion Jack married to Alexander Jack coal miner died 16 Jan 1909 age 68 in Longmore Hospital, Edinburgh - usual residence Hunterfield, Gorebridge. Parents Archibald Herriot and Margaret Herriot m/s Lawson.

Margaret Kerr widow of James Kerr, cooper died 15 Sept 1925 age 65 at 7 Seafield Street, Leith. Parents Archibald Herriot and Marion Herriot m/s Lawson.

So it seems to me that the surname Lawson came from Margaret's grandmother. I also note that her father's name is showing as Archibald not George.

Marriage of Archibald Heriot and Margaret Lawson 20 June 1834 Temple, Midlothian.

William