Author Topic: lookup request for jane mair philadelphia 1873 death  (Read 595 times)

Offline squatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
lookup request for jane mair philadelphia 1873 death
« on: Monday 30 April 18 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi trying to find more details on Jane Mair and family

Ancestry says born 1793
death 24th april 1873
Philidadelphia. Pennsylvania
age 80
FHL 2021793 or FHL 1003700

hoping she is long lost ancester
Jane muir (often transcribed wrong as mair) born 1792 scotland
Death Some time after 1871 location unknown but some muirs ended up in Luzerne County

regards

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: lookup request for jane mair philadelphia 1873 death
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 April 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
Return of a death in Philadelphia - Jane Mair - aged 80 years - born Scotland - married - cause of death general debility - residence Belmont Ave 24 th Ward - burial - Franklin Cemetery - no father or mother listed.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6LC9-R9X?i=706&cc=1320976

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline squatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 09:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the lookup Sandra

A bit of a disappointing result, i was hoping there had been a transcription error as there has been quite often in the past.

The Jane Muir I am looking for was widowed in 1854, this record shows married and the lettering is quite clearly a letter A in this case.

do you know of any good sources for people arriving in pennsilvania? by chance

as i said in my post, some of the family arrived their and i thought she might of been with them.

George Muir and Wife Catherine muir with several children were in england in 1871 and had a daughter Lillias in 1873 but then on the us 1880 census in luzerne but then back in the england in 1881 so they must have moved out their sometime after 73

thanks for the help on the lookup

regards

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
It sounds like you do not have this immigration record (unfortunately, Mrs. Muir is not shown with the family):

The S. S. British Crown sailed from Liverpool, England and arrived Philadelphia, PA on 18 Jan 1880.  Shown are:
Catherine Muir, age 47, occupation - wife
Allen Muir, age 10, child
Catherine Muir, age 7, child
Lilly Muir, age 6, child
To what county belonging: England
Intended to become inhabitants of U.S.

If this is your family, perhaps George sailed prior to his family.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline squatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
thanks lisa

Since the last post i have expanded the search a little and found possible migrations although a little strange.

There is a possibility of George traveling over in 1879 on the Celtic which is fair enough, gives him time to get setup in accommodation and work etc

But on the 1880 SS British crown passenger list Daughter Isabella aged 14 is not listed but on the 1880 census for Philadelphia she is listed with the family so how did she get there?

The strangely the family traveled back to England but have found no details yet of the return Journey except they are all listed on the English 1881 census.

They then traveled back to New YorK in 1883/4 but strangely Catherine the mother and Alexander T the son age 17 were not listed??

Yet I know Alexander did go back over as he is on the 1910 census for Cleveland Ohio

I also know there older son John George Muir and his wife Jane A Muir also traveled over there at some point as they are on the 1900 census their oldest child states born in Pennsylvania around 1889 so it must have been before then.

Thanks for looking