Author Topic: 5th - 8th cousins - several "shared matches" with one person  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: 5th - 8th cousins - several "shared matches" with one person
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 May 18 17:10 BST (UK) »
A second cousin (our grandfathers were brothers) had his DNA tested. No male matches though some from mothers side.

Consequently, I see no reason to have mine tested. Surely, if any male matches are found then the surnames will be the same?
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 May 18 20:12 BST (UK) »
You cannot assume that you have inherited the same DNA as your cousin; just some of it. I have a 1st cousin who has tested and the shared matches are as patchy as the science would suggest.

My wife and her sister have also tested and their DNA profiles are very different.

Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 May 18 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Regorian:

I've not seen my brother's results.  It would be interesting to see what matches he may have and are they somewhat similar to mine.

I was thrilled with my DNA results and matches.  While it was interesting to read the "Ethnicity Estimate" I already had an idea of what it would be (however, there was one surprise).  But, I was extremely pleased to find a match to whom we suspected was a distant cousin - it proved that our research was correct and that we did indeed share the same gggfather.  I also found a couple of matches for my semi-brickwall ancestors so for me, taking the DNA test was extremely rewarding.

Thank you for posting, Regorian.  Now I am curious about my brother's possible matches.  :)

PS  Having just read diplodicus' response, my sister-in-law and her sisters were given the tests as Christmas presents.  Their results also varied quite a bit; I don't know anything about their matches.  My brother's DNA results show that he has a large percentage of Irish and a small percentage of English.  My results show about 1/3 Irish and a little less than 1/3 English.  I understand (a bit) about how one acquires their DNA so it makes sense why my brother and I don't have the same amounts and ethnicity with this DNA company.

Thank you for your continued interest and guidance, diplodicus.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)