Author Topic: Thomas Partridge 1808-30 OCT 1891 London, ON Canada  (Read 2495 times)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Partridge 1808-30 OCT 1891 London, ON Canada
« on: Monday 30 April 18 19:00 BST (UK) »
Looking for info on family of Thomas Partridge birth 2 APR 1808  Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England (based on other user info)

We know he was a carpenter/Joiner and married my 2nd great aunt, Jane Clark, in Port Huron, Michigan 10 Mar 1859.
From the marriage record

By the Rev. M. Hickey, Episcopal Methodist Minister, in the city of Port Huron, Michigan, and at his residence, on the 10th ult., THOMAS PARTRIDGE, Sen Esq., of the city of London, Canada West to JANE, second daughter of the late Mr Donald Clark, Schoolmaster, Petty,Scotland (Donald passed in Scotland in 1853)

We know Thomas and Jane are buried in Oakland Cemetery in London but associated records that might show Thomas' parents were destroyed in a fire.  Death records have no info. 

When Jane Clark's mother passed in October 1869 in London, Ontario, James Partridge is listed as informant of death but cannot find a James Partridge in the area.  Thinking this has to be a relative of Thomas Partridge.

As Thomas and Jane married at around 40 years of age, we wonder if Thomas was previously married.  What we have seen doesn't list marital status at the 10 Mar 1859 marriage.

That also does not list Thomas' parents which might lead us to the mystery James.

The available records for Oakland cemetery only have Jane and Thomas listed.  No other partridge but records are incomplete and cemetery was very neglected for many years
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Partridge 1808-30 OCT 1891 London, ON Canada
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 April 18 22:02 BST (UK) »
Do you know when Thomas P arrived in the US?  Would he be on a census in England am wondering.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 April 18 22:05 BST (UK) »
There is a Thomas P marriage in Dunstable 2 Feb 1831 to Kezia Clarke but don't know if that is the same Thomas P.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 April 18 22:11 BST (UK) »
There's a baptism Dunstable for a James P born April 1808 with a father Thomas.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 April 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
The Westminster Township Historical Society have a few Partridge family members listed tied to other families. Westminster is the Township Oakland was part of.  Suggest you contact them, perhaps they can help.  http://www.westminstertwphs.ca/index.html

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 08:19 BST (UK) »
I have never heard of a Senior Esquire, so from the marriage information where you have "THOMAS PARTRIDGE, Sen Esq"  I am wondering if it should read as  Thomas Partridge Sr., Esquire, meaning he has a son, Thomas Partridge, Jr. from a prior marriage? 
With any luck there is a prior marriage somewhere that would shed light on his father.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 13:05 BST (UK) »
Good point regarding Senior Esquire.  That makes sense since we know he was a carpenter/joiner so not related to being a lawyer.  A mis-transcription possibly

There is a Thomas Partridge Jr in London, Ontario in the same part of town as "my" Thomas Partridge and he is a barrister.  He appears in some city directories.  I have been unable to connect them but if this is a son from a pervious marriage, he was not likely living with father in 1859 when he married Jane Clark.

Perhaps someone can access a copy of the marriage in Michigan that could reveal more detail

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 14:06 BST (UK) »
I'm concerned with the opening statement that Thomas Partridge was born 2/4/1808 Dunstable!

Baptisms for Dunstable - both parish church and non-conformist church - are on FindMyPast and there is no such birth/baptism listed (there is as already mentioned a James Partridge born 23/4/1808 Baptist, Dunstable, son of Thomas and Mary of Houghton Regis - they also had William 1797, Mary 1800, Elizabeth 1802 and Eliza 1808). 

How is it known that he is supposedly from Dunstable and born on that date?  You need to have sources and just because 'other users' state it doesn't make it fact when no sources given.

(He wasn't the Thomas who married Kezia in 1831 - that Thomas was a Publican).

You need to establish where exactly this information has come from.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
After Annette pointed out a possible flaw in my research I was able to find my original source of birth date and location

The date and location are taken from the grave marker in Oakland Cemetery.  I guess when I examined it I made note and the image in my tree is rather small so I didn't recall until I blew up the image.

Now the question remains that there does not seem to be a birth or baptism in Barnstable that fits the date.

His spouse Jane Clark is in the same plot and her information is on the same marker.  After reviewing her image I need to return and capture my own image of the marker