Author Topic: Thomas Partridge 1808-30 OCT 1891 London, ON Canada  (Read 2481 times)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Partridge 1808-30 OCT 1891 London, ON Canada
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 15:25 BST (UK) »
I have found that the Thomas Partridge Junior was born about 1831 in England.  He was a solicitor/barrister in London Ontario for many years.

Given the marriage of Thomas to Jane seems to point to a Senior and the two Thomas Partridges lived very close to one another perhaps this is a son from a first marriage.

In 1901 Thomas Jr is a widower and living in a boarding house or hotel.  It lists arrival year as 1839 but so far no record found.

He passes in  25 Jan 1907 in the Clyde Hotel from Bronchitis and is buried at Woodland Cemetery.  Will visit soon to examine marker for additional names

Unable to find a marriage for Thomas Jr.

Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 May 18 17:14 BST (UK) »
Further digging in city directories finds the suspected Thomas Jr with a wife Sarah.  That lead to an 1871 census that listed family in London Ward 7

Thomas Partridge  39  Lawyer
 Sarah E Partridge  35
 Emma Partridge  16
 Edward O Partridge  14
 Carl B Partridge  10
 Thomas B Partridge  8

Spouse and children all born Ontario.  All list "No religion"

I had seen a marriage of a Thomas Partridge and Sarah Eaton in Bedfordshire 19 Oct 1852  but parent not Thomas so dismissed.  However, census could be in error as to her birth location

No luck so far with other census or death info.  Off to cemetery to see if other names are on marker or in records for the Thomas Partridge Lawyer

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 May 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
GLobe and Mail newspaper... Feb 15 1858, page 2.

Appointments:  Secretary's Office, Toronto, 13 February

His Excellency the Governor General has been pleased to make the following appointments, viz.

Thomas Partridge, of London, Esquire, Attorney at Law.

There are eight appointments in the list... some other lawyers, 2 assistant county coroners, a couple of notaries public/commissioners for taking oaths. 

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 May 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
Short death notice in the Globe and Mail 26 Jan 1907.  Under the heading The Forest City (London is sometimes called the Forest City).  Says "Special Despatch to the Globe..London, Ot, Jan 25..."

There is some information about a railway, a death notice of a Mr Kirk, a few other things...then this

An old-time resident of this City, Mr. Thomas Partridge, died today in Victoria Hospital.  Mr Partridge was well known to the legal profession, having been connected with it for a number of years.  He was born in England in 1831, and came to this country when quite young, and lived in London over half a century.  He was the only surviving charter member of Forest Lodge, No. 38, I.O.O.F.   Two sons, Thomas of London township and Edwin of Chicago survive.

RK

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 May 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
The death looks right.

A trip to Woodland cemetery revealed the following.

They had no birth info but death or burial dates.  There is a large stone but weather the day of visit was bad with winds over 100KPH.  Too many large trees in cemetery  :)  Online image of stone shows just his information

Sarah E.  11Sep 1894
Carl B      19 Mar 1886
Letitia      16 Mar 1942
Thomas B 4 Jul 1938
Emma      4 May 1913

So we know that Thomas died in 1907 but nothing to connect him to Thomas Partridge 1808-30 OCT 1891 so far.  The stone shows birth date as 4 Oct 1831 and death 25 Jan 1907.  Very vice stone and look forward to seeing the other side.

Thomas was a widow when he died of Bronchitis and living in the Clyde Hotel. I can't find the hotel in 1924 city directory and it is a name I have never seen.  Wonder why he was in a hotel when several people listed above were living.

His religion at time of death was Episcopal and there are no informants

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 May 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
I found an 1851 Canada census that has a Partridge family in Bruce County near Kincardine.

The elder Thomas is listed as a farmer but all other info we have lists him as a carpenter or joiner. It seems odd that he would stop the carpentry trade and take up farming but my grandfather was a carpenter but worked at farming as well.

The census has a wife Elizabeth born about 1811 in England as well as seven children all born England with youngest 3.  That does not seem to fit possible arrivals for Thomas Partridge Jr., the lawyer.

So basically nothing to firmly connect the families

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 May 18 20:34 BST (UK) »
Maybe a coincidence, and I haven't looked any further, but there is a Partridge family in Flint, Genesee, Michigan in 1850:

Thomas Partridge 49 Farmer
Ann 45
Ann 20
Thomas Jr 18
John 16
William 12

All born England except William born New York
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 May 18 02:03 BST (UK) »
The family in Michigan in 1850 were:

Thomas Partridge married to Ann Dawe 26/8/1828 Crediton, Devon.   Children's baptisms show his occupation as a Maltster so changed occupation when he got to US. 

Children: Ann Dawe bp.30/6/1829 Braunton, Devon
              Thomas Dawe bp.11/6/1832 Braunton, Devon
              John b.5/2/1834, bp.3/4/1834 Braunton, Devon.

The Thomas D. Partridge in later census in Michigan is clearly the son above - Thomas D. Partridge b.6/3/1832, d.5/4/1917 in Genesee, Michigan - parents shown as Thomas Partridge and Ann Dawe.

'Your' Thomas Partridge b.1808 is shown when he married in 1859 as marrying in a Methodist Church and shown as a Methodist on 1871 census.   This could be why a baptism in Dunstable, Bedfordshire has not been found if he was from a non-conformist family.

Suggest you check with the Record Office for Bedfordshire to find out if they have any Methodist records for the relevant time frame which are not available online.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 January 21 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year!  Hopefully better than last year.

Doing some digging based on the Methodist info from various documents, I found a baptism

Name:   Thomas Partridge
Event Type:   Baptism
Birth Date:   23 Jul 1810
Baptism Date:   26 Aug 1810
Baptism Place:   Bedfordshire, England
Denomination:   Wesleyan Methodist
Father:   
Richard Partridge
Mother:   
Elizabeth Partridge

No match for the birth date that is on the headstone.  Possibly not the only time I have found errors on the headstone. Records unavailable from cemetery.

The baptism has another child on same record and the family is listed as Luton which is close.

There is a second record for a Thomas Partridge that appears to duplicate family but in a different record.

Both attached.

The Dunstable records found a burial for a Thomas Partridge, infant,  08 Mar 1807 at St. Peter, Dunstable.  No original record to view or parents listed