Author Topic: How should I go about researching an Indian lineage?  (Read 2252 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How should I go about researching an Indian lineage?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism in Kamptee Madras for a Catherine Ann Stuart 14 March 1872 - parents Chas and Eliza. Father is a staff sergt. ? dept(unsure of the word before dept.). Maybe the sister?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 17:38 BST (UK) »
Father is a staff sergt. ? dept(unsure of the word before dept)

Comt Dept = Commissariat Department
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 17:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Shaun. I thought it might be as there is this marriage in Kamptee

17 Sept 1871 Charles Stuart 35 widower Staff sergt. Commissariat Father Alex Stuart
 to Eliza Finigan 17 spinster Father Patrick Finnigan

Witnesses P Finnigan and Jas.John

It may, of course, be a coincidence but I note that one of the witnesses at the marriage of Katie Ann Stuart quoted above had the surname Finnigan.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline ghostnorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 20:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys. I've found Charles in a public tree now, as being born in 1836, Leslie Aberdeenshire, to Alexander Stuart and Helen Cunningham. Mary Josephine is listed as his daughter. However, it seems to have put her as the daughter of what was presumably his first wife (named as Ellen Dargan). Eliza Finnigan is the mother, though, given the marriage date.