Author Topic: Church & Dyball families of Fleggburgh / Burgh St Margaret  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Church & Dyball families of Fleggburgh / Burgh St Margaret
« on: Monday 30 April 18 22:50 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to identify the parents & family of Susan / Susanna Church, my 4th great grandmother.

This is the information that I know for certain

Susanna Church married Christmas Thomas Money on 4 Sep 1820 in St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth

They appear on census as follows

1841 Laughing Image Corner, St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth
Thomas Money b1801 occ. Mason
Susan Money b1801
William Money b1826
Susan Money b1826

1851 Cross Row, Great Yarmouth
Thomas Money b1800 in Norwich, occ. Bricklayer
Susan Money b1798 in Fleggburgh
Wilaby Money, daughter, b1823 Great Yarmouth
Darius Money, grandson, b1846 Great Yarmouth
Susan Cutler, daughter, b1825 Great Yarmouth
James Cutler, grandson, b1849 Great Yarmouth

Susan / Susanna then dies Dec 1854 and is buried at St Nicholas on 15 Dec 1854 age 56 (b1798)

In terms of birth place, the only information I have to go on is 'Fleggburgh', Norfolk.
I didn't realise until recently that Fleggburgh is another name for Burgh St Margaret, just outside Great Yarmouth (which fits with later census and marriage)

I have done a search for baptisms in Burgh St Margaret for possible Susan / Susanna Church. There were only 2 possibilities, both born earlier than the estimate from burial record and census documents. One is discounted as the Susan Church born 6 Feb 1791 to James Church and Mary Ward, died as an infant and was buried 7 April 1791

This only leaves the following possibility

Susan Church, born 28 May 1792 to Thomas Church and Wiloughby Dibol, baptised in Burgh St Margaret on 3 Jun 1792

Despite the birth year being 6 years earlier than estimate from other documents, I think that this may be the correct person because this is the only possible match and the mother is called Willoughby/Wilaby, the name MY Susan Church later goes on to call her daughter. I think that this was not a common female name.

Based on this information I have then found a match for her mother Willoughby Dibol/Dyball and 2 siblings.

MOTHER Willoughby Dyball born Jul 1764 Repps-cum-Bastwick, baptised 15 Jul 1764 to Samuel Dyball and Mary

BROTHER Samuel Church born 23 Feb 1797 Burgh St Margaret

BROTHER William Church born May 1801 Great Yarmouth, baptised 21 May 1801

I am looking for anyone that can help with any of the following please

- does my conclusion as to my Susan Churches baptism and parents seem reasonable?

- I have been unable to find a marriage record for Willoughby Dibol/Dyball and Thomas Church, can anyone locate this please?

- I have been unable to identify any more information / family for the father, Thomas Church

- I haven't been able to trace the brother, Samuel Church (although I have traced the brother, William, who married Martha Rogers)

- are there any other likely Church siblings I have missed

- finally, I have a DNA match who is a descendant of a Henry Church born circa 1787 in Burgh St Margaret. We are both thinking it highly likely that he and Susan were siblings or cousins or related in some way, but we haven't been able to find their link. He married an Elizabeth on 19 Nov 1810 in Burgh St Margaret and went on to have at least 2 children, Edmund Church 1820 and William Church 1832.

Any help with any of this would be very much appreciated, and it would be great to link in with anyone researching the same family.

thank you
Christian
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Church & Dyball families of Fleggburgh / Burgh St Margaret
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 07:10 BST (UK) »
Thomas Christian (Christmas) Money baptized 25 December 1799, born 24th December son of William Money and his wife Elizabeth late Broughton. father a labourer.
St Mary Coslany Norwich.

NFHS transcription of his marriage 4 September 1820 Christian Thomas Money

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 07:20 BST (UK) »
Thomas Christian (Christmas) Money baptized 25 December 1799, born 24th December son of William Money and his wife Elizabeth late Broughton. father a labourer.
St Mary Coslany Norwich.

NFHS transcription of his marriage 4 September 1820 Christian Thomas Money
Thank you Amondg. Yes, I have traced Thomas Christmas and have this. His wife was always a brick wall, and I think I have made the breakthrough as above, but wanted any help regarding her. I appreciate the verification on Thomas’ birth though, same conclusion as me. Thank you
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 07:21 BST (UK) »
William Money married Elizabeth Broughton at St Paul's Norwich 25 December 1792 both were single.

another child is William Money baptized 1 April 1798 Norwich

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 23:58 BST (UK) »
William Money married Elizabeth Broughton at St Paul's Norwich 25 December 1792 both were single.

another child is William Money baptized 1 April 1798 Norwich

Thank you Amondg. Yes, I have traced Thomas Christmas and have this. His wife was always a brick wall, and I think I have made the breakthrough as above, but wanted any help regarding her. I appreciate the verification on Thomas’ birth though, same conclusion as me. Thank you